Can't install rubygems - but getting closer

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Michael Satterwhite, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. I'm runniing Ubuntu Breezy. The distributed version of ruby is 1.8.3
    which is incompatible with the current rails. As a result, I'm trying to
    get things up outside of apt. I have ruby installed - compiled to
    install to /usr/bin. I'm trying to get rubygems installed, but still not
    making it there.

    When I run (as root) ruby setup.rb, from the rubygems-0.9.0 directory,
    it terminates with

    hook /software/rubygems-0.9.0/./post-install.rb failed:
    uninitialized constant Gem::Builder::package

    This is further than I've been getting, but still not there. I want to
    thank those of you for the help you've given so far, and need to ask for
    some more. Any ideas on how to correct this?

    tia
    ---Michael

    Michael Satterwhite, Aug 7, 2006

  2. Michael Satterwhite wrote:
    > I'm runniing Ubuntu Breezy. The distributed version of ruby is 1.8.3
    > which is incompatible with the current rails. As a result, I'm trying to
    > get things up outside of apt. I have ruby installed - compiled to
    > install to /usr/bin. I'm trying to get rubygems installed, but still not
    > making it there.
    >
    > When I run (as root) ruby setup.rb, from the rubygems-0.9.0 directory,
    > it terminates with
    >
    > hook /software/rubygems-0.9.0/./post-install.rb failed:
    > uninitialized constant Gem::Builder::package
    >
    > This is further than I've been getting, but still not there. I want to
    > thank those of you for the help you've given so far, and need to ask for
    > some more. Any ideas on how to correct this?
    >
    > tia
    > ---Michael

    Gems for some reason on Debian/Ubuntu seems to want to install in
    /usr/lib/ruby instead of /usr/local (rather annoying) I'd take a look
    and see if that is what it did?

    On Dapper running ruby from the repository and Gems from source I
    install gems to /usr/local/lib/site_ruby this way...

    export GEM_HOME=/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/gems
    ruby setup.rb config --prefix=/usr/local/
    --site-ruby/usr/local/lib/site-ruby
    ruby setup.rb setup
    ruby setup.rb install

    Set necessary environment vars in /etc/environment

    Add /usr/local/lib/site-ruby/1.8/gem/bin to the PATH entry
    Add GEM_HOME="/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8/gems"

    Restart so they take system wide effect

    I typed that (quickly) from memory away from my ubuntu box so you may
    want to check/alter the directories a bit...

    Michael Greenly, Aug 7, 2006