    ite/lib .) at test.pl line 46
    Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 46.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 46.

    Jasper, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Jasper

    Sisyphus Guest

    Jasper wrote:
    > Hi there, I installed GNU GMP for windows and placed GMP.pm in the
    > directories indicated below, any ideas why perl spits this error back
    > at me ?? Is there something specific I need to do ?
    > Thanks for any assistance..
    >
    > Can't locate loadable object for module GMP in @INC (@INC contains:
    > c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/s
    > ite/lib .) at test.pl line 46
    > Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 46.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 46.

    I presume you obtained 'GMP.pm' from the Demos/Perl folder. That's not
    the right way to go about it. You need to cd to the Demos/Perl folder
    and run in turn:
    perl Makefile.PL
    make test
    make install

    (You should replace 'make' with whatever 'perl -V:make' reports -
    probably 'nmake' I'm guessing.)
    That way you'll end up building and installing the *entire* module -
    including the 'loadable object' which isn't being found :)

    But then .... gee .... it's hard to give good advice when I have to
    guess about so much .... let's just say that if you're running
    ActiveState perl you can get all of the GMP stuff you need (including
    the GMP dll, the GMP module, the Math::GMP module, the Math::BigInt::GMP
    module, and more) from
    http://www.kalinabears.com.au/w32perl/math_gmp.html .
    You shouldn't have to build anything - just download and install as per
    the instructions.
    If you strike trouble with any of it, please let me know. (The
    "instructions" make perfect sense to me, but I've been around long
    enough to know that doesn't necessarily mean they're sensible :)

    If you're not using ActiveState perl (or even if you are but would
    prefer to build things yourself) could you tell us what 'perl -V' reports.

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Jasper

    Jasper Guest

    Sisyphus <> wrote in message news:<40dfd0e0$0$24744$>...
    > Jasper wrote:
    > > Hi there, I installed GNU GMP for windows and placed GMP.pm in the
    > > directories indicated below, any ideas why perl spits this error back
    > > at me ?? Is there something specific I need to do ?
    > > Thanks for any assistance..
    > >
    > > Can't locate loadable object for module GMP in @INC (@INC contains:
    > > c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/s
    > > ite/lib .) at test.pl line 46
    > > Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 46.
    > > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 46.

    > I presume you obtained 'GMP.pm' from the Demos/Perl folder. That's not
    > the right way to go about it. You need to cd to the Demos/Perl folder
    > and run in turn:
    > perl Makefile.PL
    > make test
    > make install
    >
    > (You should replace 'make' with whatever 'perl -V:make' reports -
    > probably 'nmake' I'm guessing.)
    > That way you'll end up building and installing the *entire* module -
    > including the 'loadable object' which isn't being found :)
    >
    > But then .... gee .... it's hard to give good advice when I have to
    > guess about so much .... let's just say that if you're running
    > ActiveState perl you can get all of the GMP stuff you need (including
    > the GMP dll, the GMP module, the Math::GMP module, the Math::BigInt::GMP
    > module, and more) from
    > http://www.kalinabears.com.au/w32perl/math_gmp.html .
    > You shouldn't have to build anything - just download and install as per
    > the instructions.
    > If you strike trouble with any of it, please let me know. (The
    > "instructions" make perfect sense to me, but I've been around long
    > enough to know that doesn't necessarily mean they're sensible :)
    >
    > If you're not using ActiveState perl (or even if you are but would
    > prefer to build things yourself) could you tell us what 'perl -V' reports.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob

    Yes running Activestate...I will try and install all the other GMP
    software and try again...

    Jasper, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Jasper

    Jasper Guest

    (Jasper) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi there, I installed GNU GMP for windows and placed GMP.pm in the
    > directories indicated below, any ideas why perl spits this error back
    > at me ?? Is there something specific I need to do ?
    > Thanks for any assistance..
    >
    > Can't locate loadable object for module GMP in @INC (@INC contains:
    > c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/s
    > ite/lib .) at test.pl line 46
    > Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 46.
    > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 46.

    I went to your webpage and it failed
    http://www.kalinabears.com.au/w32perl/math_gmp.html. I am using
    ActiveState Perl 5.8.3 (latest) and cant get GMP to work on Windows
    XP. Here are my results:

    A). Math::GMP for Win32 Perl -
    1 - ppm install Math-GMP.ppd - failed
    2- copied In blib, find the files GMP.dll and GMP.pm.
    Copy GMP.pm to your perl/site/lib/math/ folder.
    Copy GMP.dll to your perl/site/lib/auto/math/gmp folder.
    3- test: perl gmppm.t windows Popup ERROR message: "Failed to start
    b/c libgmp-3.dll was not found, reinstalling may fix problem"

    B).GMP for Win32 Perl
    1- C:\temp\temp1\gmp_perl\gmp_perl>ppm install GMP.ppd
    Note: Package 'GMP' is already installed.
    2- perl test.pl - windows Popup ERROR message: "Failed to start b/c
    libgmp-3.dll was not found, reinstalling may fix problem"

    C).Math::BigInt::GMP for Win32 Perl
    1 - ppm install Math-BigInt-GMP.ppd
    result:
    ====================
    Install 'Math-BigInt-GMP' version 1.13 in ActivePerl 5.8.3.809.
    ====================
    Error: error downloading
    'file://localhost/C%7C/temp/temp1/gmp_perl/math_bigint_gmp/MSWin
    32-x86-multi-thread-5.8/Math-BigInt-GMP.tar.gz': 404 File
    `C:\temp\temp1\gmp_perl\math_bi
    gint_gmp\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8\Math-BigInt-GMP.tar.gz' does not
    exist

    2 - Copy GMP.pm to your perl/site/lib/math/bigint/ folder. - NO SUCH
    FOLDER EXISTS

    3- works: perl bigfltpm.t

    Doesnt work: perl bigintpm.t
    # Test 958 got: <UNDEF> (bigintpm.inc at line 196 fail #943)
    # Expected: '4'
    # Tried: '$x = Math::BigInt->new("-4");$y = Math::BigInt->new('7');$x
    & $y;'
    Can't locate auto/Math/BigInt/GMP/_zero.al in @INC (@INC contains:
    .../blib/arch ../lib c
    :/Perl/lib c:/Perl/site/lib .) at c:/Perl/lib/Math/BigInt.pm line 725
    Compilation failed in require at bigintpm.t line 23, <DATA> line 1050.

    Doesnt work: perl bigintg.t

    C:\temp\temp1\gmp_perl\math_bigint_gmp>perl bigintg.t
    Can't locate loadable object for module Math::BigInt::GMP in @INC
    (@INC contains: ../blib
    /arch ../lib c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/site/lib .) at bigintg.t line 14
    Compilation failed in require at bigintg.t line 14.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at bigintg.t line 14.

    Jasper, Jun 29, 2004
  5. Jasper

    Sisyphus Guest

    >>Hi there, I installed GNU GMP for windows and placed GMP.pm in the
    >>directories indicated below, any ideas why perl spits this error back
    >>at me ?? Is there something specific I need to do ?
    >>Thanks for any assistance..
    >>
    >>Can't locate loadable object for module GMP in @INC (@INC contains:
    >>c:/Perl/lib c:/Perl/s
    >>ite/lib .) at test.pl line 46
    >>Compilation failed in require at test.pl line 46.
    >>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at test.pl line 46.

    > I went to your webpage and it failed
    > http://www.kalinabears.com.au/w32perl/math_gmp.html. I am using
    > ActiveState Perl 5.8.3 (latest) and cant get GMP to work on Windows
    > XP. Here are my results:
    >
    > A). Math::GMP for Win32 Perl -
    > 1 - ppm install Math-GMP.ppd - failed
    > 2- copied In blib, find the files GMP.dll and GMP.pm.
    > Copy GMP.pm to your perl/site/lib/math/ folder.
    > Copy GMP.dll to your perl/site/lib/auto/math/gmp folder.
    > 3- test: perl gmppm.t windows Popup ERROR message: "Failed to start
    > b/c libgmp-3.dll was not found, reinstalling may fix problem"

    You need 'libgmp-3.dll' installed in one of the folders in your path.
    'libgmp-3.dll' can be got from
    http://www.kalinabears.com.au/w32perl/GMP-4.1.3-mingw.tar.gz .
    (That package also includes some additional files that you won't need.)

    I don't know why the 'ppm install Math-GMP.ppd' would have failed. Any
    error messages with that ? Does 'ppm' usually work flawlesssly for you ?

    Still, if you've got GMP.pm and GMP.dll already placed in the correct
    folders, then once 'libgmp-3.dll' has been placed in a folder that's in
    your path, you should be able to successfully run 'perl gmppm.t' .

    > B).GMP for Win32 Perl
    > 1- C:\temp\temp1\gmp_perl\gmp_perl>ppm install GMP.ppd
    > Note: Package 'GMP' is already installed.

    Why does it think that ? Perhaps it's because you manually copied GMP.pm
    into your perl installation (a coupla days back). It looks like it might
    have installed properly anyway.

    > 2- perl test.pl - windows Popup ERROR message: "Failed to start b/c
    > libgmp-3.dll was not found, reinstalling may fix problem"

    Once again, with 'libgmp-3.dll' in place, you should be able to
    succesfully run the test script.

    > C).Math::BigInt::GMP for Win32 Perl
    > 1 - ppm install Math-BigInt-GMP.ppd
    > result:
    > ====================
    > Install 'Math-BigInt-GMP' version 1.13 in ActivePerl 5.8.3.809.
    > ====================
    > Error: error downloading
    > 'file://localhost/C%7C/temp/temp1/gmp_perl/math_bigint_gmp/MSWin
    > 32-x86-multi-thread-5.8/Math-BigInt-GMP.tar.gz': 404 File
    > `C:\temp\temp1\gmp_perl\math_bi
    > gint_gmp\MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.8\Math-BigInt-GMP.tar.gz' does not
    > exist

    This is the result of an error in the '.ppd' file. I've uploaded a new
    version of 'Math-BigInt-GMP-58.tar.gz' that contains a corrected '.ppd'
    file. Hopefully you can now perform a succesful ppm install of this
    module. (I don't think any of the other ppm packages from my website
    suffer the same problem.)

    > 2 - Copy GMP.pm to your perl/site/lib/math/bigint/ folder. - NO SUCH
    > FOLDER EXISTS

    Create any folders (manually) that don't exist. Still - I'd prefer that
    'ppm' was working for you as it's so easy to make errors when you start
    manually copying (and creating folders).

    I'm sort of lost with the rest - just install 'libgmp-3.dll' and see if
    that provides some progress and we'll resume the struggle from there :)

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Jun 29, 2004