Can't nest popups...WTF?

The Natural Philosopher

I am trying to get a fairly complex database form set up..at various
stages I need to open popups to edit subsections, then close them..

Now this all works fine from the main screen, I can open a popup using
window.open() and it spawns in a new browser or tab, do my stuff, and
exit to the main screen..

However if I try to open another popup in the child popup, and return to
THAT with a window close in the grandchild, firstly it never opens in a
new window, but in the child window, and secondly it closes itself and
returns not to the child window but to the parent window.

I have googled till I am blue in the face but no joy..no one seems to
have a snap solution for this one.

I suspect I need to use the window object that window.open returns,,but
have no idea how..?

Erwin Moller

The said:
I am trying to get a fairly complex database form set up..at various
stages I need to open popups to edit subsections, then close them..

Now this all works fine from the main screen, I can open a popup using
window.open() and it spawns in a new browser or tab, do my stuff, and
exit to the main screen..

However if I try to open another popup in the child popup, and return to
THAT with a window close in the grandchild, firstly it never opens in a
new window, but in the child window, and secondly it closes itself and
returns not to the child window but to the parent window.

I have googled till I am blue in the face but no joy..no one seems to
have a snap solution for this one.

I suspect I need to use the window object that window.open returns,,but
have no idea how..?

Hi,

I suspect you use the same windowname twice in different popups, that error
would be consistent with your described problem.
If that is the case the solution is simple: Make sure every window has an
unique name.
If that is not the case, please describe in more detail what the problem is.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

The Natural Philosopher

Erwin said:
Hi,

I suspect you use the same windowname twice in different popups, that error
would be consistent with your described problem.
If that is the case the solution is simple: Make sure every window has an
unique name.
If that is not the case, please describe in more detail what the problem is.

Erwin, you got it in one.

I discovered it ultimately trying to open in a frame..of course it
wouldn't till I changed the name to the frame name and then the penny
dropped.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Now I have just about got that bit working.
Trying to (re-)learn some very rusty SQL, PHP, javascript and HTML all
at once gets exhausting..does this one use single or double quotes..do I
need dollar signs..blah blah. Thank god my =wife has just pased me a
gin-and-tonic. That's it for today..