Can't Open Db from Web Service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by DimX, Dec 6, 2004.

  1. DimX

    DimX Guest

    I have a project consisting of a Web application and a Web service. The Web
    application calls the Web service to do some modifications in a database (
    Microsoft Access ) When the OleDbConnection.Open function is called I receive
    the followin message:

    [SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was
    unable to process request. ---> System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified
    error
    at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
    at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider()
    at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open()
    at NED.CablesDBUpdate.DeleteRow(DataSetNewCables dsNewCables) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\nedservice\cablesdbupdate.asmx.cs:line 258
    at NED.CablesDBUpdate.DBHandler(DBActions Action, DataSetNewCables
    dsNewCables) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\nedservice\cablesdbupdate.asmx.cs:line 224
    at NED.CablesDBUpdate.DeleteCable(DataSetNewCables dsNewCables) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\nedservice\cablesdbupdate.asmx.cs:line 177
    --- End of inner exception stack trace ---]

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    NED.NEDService.CablesDBUpdate.DeleteCable(DataSetNewCables dsNewCables)
    in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\NED\Web References\NEDService\Reference.cs:80
    NED.PNG.QueryFrm.grdNewCables_DeleteCommand(Object source,
    DataGridCommandEventArgs e) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\NED\PNG\QueryFrm.aspx.cs:948

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.OnDeleteCommand(DataGridCommandEventArgs e)
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGrid.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs
    e)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataGridItem.OnBubbleEvent(Object source,
    EventArgs e)
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args)
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e)

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
    sourceControl, String eventArgument)
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

    The same behavior when I try to open a SQL database. When I call the same
    function from the Web application everything works!!!!

    Has anyone any idea what it may be wrong?

    Thanks in advance for your help

    --
    DimX

    DimX, Dec 6, 2004

  2. DimX

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi
    What connect string are you using (please hide passwords)... If this works
    from a windows application but not from a web service, first thoughts lean
    towards security or identity. The error signifies that the call to connect
    has thrown an error that was not trapped. This typically happens if the
    connect string settings aren't proper or that the caller (ASPNET) doesn't
    have permission on the (file/database).

    I hope this helps

    Dan R
    --------------------

    Dan Rogers, Dec 7, 2004

  3. DimX

    DimX Guest

    Hi Dan.
    Here is the connection string I use. Have in mind that it is the same as in
    the Web application.

    <add key="oleDbConCables.ConnectionString"
    value="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="";User ID=Admin;Data
    Source=C:\Cables.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties="";Jet
    OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet OLEDB:Database
    Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet
    OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet
    OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet
    OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=False;Jet
    OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False" />

    Thanks for your help

    DimX, Dec 7, 2004
  4. DimX

    Dan Rogers Guest

    Hi,

    The problem is likely to be the location of the MDB file. Try putting it
    in the same directory as the web service. Remember that requests that come
    in over the web are sand-boxed and do not have access to areas outside of
    the web root without you taking special care to give the process
    permissions.

    Did you try granting read/write access to the MDB file explicitely so that
    the ASP.net process can open it?

    Dan
    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGltWA==?=" <>

    <0IIYjc$>
    >Subject: RE: Can't Open Db from Web Service
    >Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 00:01:02 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    >Hi Dan.
    >Here is the connection string I use. Have in mind that it is the same as

    in
    >the Web application.
    >
    ><add key="oleDbConCables.ConnectionString"
    >value="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password="";User ID=Admin;Data
    >Source=C:\Cables.mdb;Mode=Share Deny None;Extended Properties="";Jet
    >OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet OLEDB:Database
    >Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=1;Jet
    >OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet
    >OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet
    >OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on

    Compact=False;Jet
    >OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False" />
    >

    >Thanks for your help
    >

    >"Dan Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >> What connect string are you using (please hide passwords)... If this

    works
    >> from a windows application but not from a web service, first thoughts

    lean
    >> towards security or identity. The error signifies that the call to

    connect
    >> has thrown an error that was not trapped. This typically happens if the
    >> connect string settings aren't proper or that the caller (ASPNET)

    doesn't
    >> have permission on the (file/database).
    >>
    >> I hope this helps
    >>
    >> Dan R
    >> --------------------
    >> >From: "=?Utf-8?B?RGltWA==?=" <>
    >> >Subject: Can't Open Db from Web Service
    >> >Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:19:10 -0800
    >> >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices

    cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXS01.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08

    Dan Rogers, Dec 7, 2004
  5. DimX

    Gabe Garza Guest

    Here's the syntax for the <add> element in a Web.Config file:
    <add key="" value="">

    In Xml, your Web.Config is not a properly formatted Xml because if you
    notice your value has "" inside of the value attribute. I'd change all the
    double quotes inside of of your value attribute to single quotes.

    Gabe Garza, Dec 9, 2004