Can't read/write to Registry

Nikolay Petrov

Why I always get 'Requested registry access is not allowed' when i try to
Read/Write to Windows Registry from ASP service. I use ASP NET account?
Also granted full permissions to required Registry keys.
What is the problem?

TIA

Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\)

Your code is in the CodeGroup Internet/Intranet cause it's ASP.NET - that
blocks the access.

Nikolay Petrov

I hear about Code Groups for first time. What are they?
Any workaround to my prob?

Guest

I'm trying to create an application log from Visual Studio and ran into the
'Requested registry access is not allowed' error.

I'm not sure how much of this is required, but it got things working:

- Using the WIndows User Account manager I added ASPNET to the power users
group.

- In the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application I
did rt. mouse | permissions | Advanced | selected Power Users | Edit |
selected Set Value and Create Subkey | save everything

- In C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\CONFIG\mmachine.config
modified the identify impersonate element to <identity impersonate="true"
userName="myAdminUser" password="myAdminPswd"/>

Given all the various 'solutions' I've read and how many work/don't its
pretty clear that when MS just turned on all their security they exposed an
utter mess. It is pretty clear that it is horribly designed and documented.
It also seems pretty clear that as I have to disable/modify security in
various places to get thigns working (including MS apps) that I'm just
opening the holes back up. The replies from the MS people make it clear that
they don't understand it much better. What a mess!