CANT see EDIT UPDATE CANCEL Buttons for DATAGRID

Guest

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET application using C# code. I am using a datagrid to
display records from a database based on a user input, i.e a user enters a
compnay name in text box & when he clicks a "Submit" button, only those
records are displayed where company name matches with user input.

I need the datagrid to be editable. For this i used the walkthrough from
..NET "Using a datagrid for reading & writing data to database" or it was some
similar name.
This code works fine when the datagrid shows all records but for the data
grid which shows only the records based on user input, this walkthrough
doesnt work. I think its bcoz i fill the dataset on "Submit" button click
rather than on page load. So when I hit the submit button after entering
Company name, I get to view records of that company. But WHEN I HIT the EDIT
LINK NEXT TO THE RECORD , I DONT SEE EDIT, UPDATE & CANCEL BUTTONS. I can
ONLY see those buttons when I hit submit again!!!

How to get over this?

Guest

Yes, your idea is likely. Move the code that fills the dataset to its own
routine and call from the button click. Call again from the EDIT postback
routine just prior to asking for a particular edit column. If not, you will
get either a) nothing or b) whatever is "cached" in viewstate.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

Guest

i agree. however, if you need to update the datagrid on page_load, you need
to do the following otherwise you will be running in circles.

void Page_Load(){
if(!Page.IsPostBack){
//put your function here

hope this helps.
bg

Guest

Hi Gregory,

For updating the SQL database using data grid , is primary key required? I
dont have a primary key in the SQl table. Is it possible to do the same
thing if I dont want to make a primary key ???