can't start IDLE 2.6 in Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mensanator, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Mensanator

    Mensanator Guest

    Python 2.6b1 installed ok on my XP laptop but not my Vista desktop.

    First I got a strange application log error:

    Activation context generation failed for
    "C:\Python\Dlls\_socket.pyd".
    Error in manifest or policy file
    "C:\Python26\DLLs\Microsoft.VC90.CRT.MANIFEST"
    on line 12. The value
    "..\msvcr90.dll"
    of attribute "name" in element
    "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^file" is invalid.

    Oddly, It IS valid. Poking around, I changed the name in the
    manifest from "..\msvcr90.dll" to "msvcr90.dll" and copied
    the .dll from the parent directory.

    This stopped the app;ication error log messages.

    In Googling around, I found the suggestion to do

    python lib\idlelib\idle.py -n

    which gives me this error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "lib\idlelib\idle.py", line 21, in <module>
    idlelib.PyShell.main()
    File "C:\Python26\lib\idlelib\PyShell.py", line 1382, in main
    root = Tk(className="Idle")
    File "C:\Python26\lib\lib-tk\Tkinter.py", line 1647, in __init__
    self.tk = _tkinter.create(screenName, baseName, className,
    interactive, wantobjects, useTk, sync, use)
    _tkinter.TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following
    directories:
    C:/Python26/lib/tcl8.5 C:/lib/tcl8.5 C:/lib/tcl8.5 C:/library C:/
    library C:/tcl8.5.2/library C:/tcl8.5.2/library

    And, just like the previous error, the file DOES exist

    Directory of C:\Python26\tcl\tcl8.5

    06/12/2008 06:07 PM 24,808 init.tcl

    But I note that the suggested places it looked have a forward slash
    instead
    of a the backward slash used by Windows. Is this why the file can't be
    found?
    I would try changing it but can't figure out where to look.
    Mensanator, Jul 7, 2008