Can't type {, }, [ or ] in irb

rohde

Hi,

As mentioned in subject when in irb I can't type the following
characters: { [ ] }

I access them by using Alt Gr.
I can access them just fine in the normal ruby shell.

Any ideas?

rohde

Yes, I'm on Windows XP and used the installer, as well as a non-US
keyboard.

Anyways I downloaded the file and saved it as .inputrc in my home
directory (C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>), but still no {, [
etc.

Austin Ziegler

Yes, I'm on Windows XP and used the installer, as well as a non-US
keyboard.

Anyways I downloaded the file and saved it as .inputrc in my home
directory (C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>), but still no {, [
etc.

Note that the file that was mentioned was *specifically* for the
German keyboard.

You may need to make further modifications for non-German, non-US keyboards=

rohde

Yes I know. But I just can't seem to get it to work. But I'll just use
irb in the FreeRIDE IDE for starters - that works like a charm :)

gabriele renzi

rohde ha scritto:
Yes I know. But I just can't seem to get it to work. But I'll just use
irb in the FreeRIDE IDE for starters - that works like a charm :)

I guess you need to set an INPUTRC environment variable pointing to your
..inputrc file. At least, it works on my win32 box.

Matthias Luedtke

rohde said:
Yes, I'm on Windows XP and used the installer, as well as a non-US
keyboard.

Anyways I downloaded the file and saved it as .inputrc in my home
directory (C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>), but still no {, [
etc.

My current 'workaround' is to simply switch to an english keyboard
layout every time I use irb by pressing Shift-Alt. This seems odd, but
actually an english keyboard is better suited to program Ruby anyway
just because you get one-hit-access to {, [ and so on.

Kind regards,
Matthias

Damphyr

Matthias said:
rohde wrote:
My current 'workaround' is to simply switch to an english keyboard
layout every time I use irb by pressing Shift-Alt. This seems odd, but
actually an english keyboard is better suited to program Ruby anyway
just because you get one-hit-access to {, [ and so on.
Oh yeah, the placement of {} and /,\,[] on any keyboard other than the
standard US english is a carpal syndrome nightmare.
When I switched from the english to the german keyboard I found it
immensely annoying (ever since I have worked on croatian, spanish and
worst of all swiss layouts).
I wonder, did the original idea for using [] in C was because it was
accessible on the english keyboard, and if it was made in germany would
we now write a< ....damn, there is no convenient combination anyway. I
guess central europeans should only invent natural languages :)
Cheers,
V.-

--
http://www.braveworld.net/riva

Robin Stocker

Damphyr said:
Oh yeah, the placement of {} and /,\,[] on any keyboard other than the=20
standard US english is a carpal syndrome nightmare.

The placement of these and other special characters is also very well
done on the Dvorak keyboard layout :)
http://dvzine.org/type/800W.gif

I recently switched from the Swiss German layout to US Dvorak - it is
cool that even the English version of Dvorak is way better than QWERTZ
for German texts. Now I feel comfortable again with Dvorak. The umlauts
are no problem because there are combining characters for =A8, =B4, `, =98=
and =88.

If you're interested, have a look at the nice site:
http://dvzine.org/

Regards,
Robin

Christophe Grandsire

En r=E9ponse =E0 Robin Stocker :
=20
The placement of these and other special characters is also very well
done on the Dvorak keyboard layout :)
http://dvzine.org/type/800W.gif
=20

I personally very much like the placement of special characters on my=20
Dutch keyboard: http://www.datacal.com/products/dutch-layout.htm. In it,=20
< and > are on the same key, like [ and ] (and in accessible places).=20
Only { and } are a bit more difficult (they are AltGr-8 and AltGr-9),=20
but it's not too bad (especially considering that ( and ) are Shift-8=20
and Shift-9. It all fits nicely :) ). And it has nice dead keys.
--=20
Christophe Grandsire.

http://rainbow.conlang.free.fr

JB Eriksson

------=_Part_10138_21563436.1129840454959

give me a sensible layout that has =E5 =E4 and =F6 easily available... of c=
ourse,
there's svorak, but...