Can't uninstall gems on Ubuntu

Alex 2k8

Hello,

I installed net-ssh gem from normal account, and got such warnings:

$ gem install net-ssh
WARNING: Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
/usr/bin aren't both writable.
WARNING: You don't have /home/alex/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,
gem executables will not run.

To make sure the gem installed:

$ gem list
*** LOCAL GEMS ***
net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)

Now I try to uninstall it.

$ gem uninstall net-ssh
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
Unknown gem net-ssh

$ gem list
*** LOCAL GEMS ***
net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)

So I installed a gem, but can't remove it. What is wrong here?

My system is Ubuntu 8.04,
$ gem -v
1.3.1

$ ruby -v

Thanks,
- Alex

Nation, Carey

Well, just a couple of guesses here, but:

It installed to your home directory because you don't have write rights
to the system directories. If you have sudo, sudo gem install net-ssh
might have worked.

The second warning on the install probably also tells you why it won't
uninstall. =20

[...]

--=20
Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Rick DeNatale

Well, just a couple of guesses here, but:

It installed to your home directory because you don't have write rights
to the system directories. If you have sudo, sudo gem install net-ssh
might have worked.

The second warning on the install probably also tells you why it won't
uninstall.

Actually, I think that it's because gem uninstall defaults to
installing from the system gem directory.
=A0WARNING: =A0Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/usr/bin aren't both writable.

I suspect that

$gem uninstall -i~/.gem net-ssh

might work.

--=20
Rick DeNatale

Nation, Carey

Actually, I think that it's because gem uninstall defaults to
=A0WARNING: =A0Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0/usr/bin aren't both writable.

Sorry for being vague. That's what I meant, actually. That is, since =
ruby in general couldn't run the gems there as the location wasn't in =
the path, it wouldn't be able to uninstall them, either.

Alex 2k8

It installed to your home directory because you don't have write rights
to the system directories. If you have sudo, sudo gem install net-ssh
might have worked.

Yes, if done with sudo it works fine. But I cann't remove that wrongly
instaled gems :)

The second warning seems useless, as I have no such folder at all
/home/alex/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin

Eric Hodel

I installed net-ssh gem from normal account, and got such warnings:

$ gem install net-ssh
WARNING: Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
/usr/bin aren't both writable.
WARNING: You don't have /home/alex/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,
gem executables will not run.

To make sure the gem installed:

$ gem list
*** LOCAL GEMS ***
net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)

Now I try to uninstall it.

$ gem uninstall net-ssh
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
Unknown gem net-ssh

$ gem list
*** LOCAL GEMS ***
net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)

So I installed a gem, but can't remove it. What is wrong here?

Upgrade to 1.3.4, the bug was fixed in the meantime.