Can't use membership provider wizard (Web Site Admin Tool)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Darrel, Oct 24, 2007.

  1. Darrel

    Darrel Guest

    I've been sucked into Sharepoint land for about 6 months and just trying to
    climb back out and get back into ASP.net 2.0 work.

    I have a new install of VS2005 on my machine. I've created a new web site.
    Added a DB (SQL Express) and try to run Web Site Administration Tool to set
    up the membership roles.

    However, when I click on the SECURITY tab, I get this error:

    ----------------------

    There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an
    invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can
    also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the
    button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data
    store.

    The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: The connection
    name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or the
    connection string is empty.
    (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line
    119)

    ----------------------

    Google isn't turning up a whole lot, though it seems to pointing at some
    permissions issue somewhere. I'm not sure what/where the problem is, though.
    I assume I'm missing an obvious step somewhere that's just not-so-obvious to
    me. ;o)

    -Darrel

    Darrel, Oct 24, 2007

  2. > The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: The connection
    > name 'LocalSqlServer' was not found in the applications configuration or
    > the connection string is empty.
    > (C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config\machine.config line
    > 119)

    Just check if an entry for "LocalSqlServer" in <connectionStrings> exists or
    not.

    --
    Cheers,
    Gaurav Vaish

    MasterGaurav \(www.edujini-labs.com\), Oct 24, 2007

  3. Darrel

    Darrel Guest

    > Just check if an entry for "LocalSqlServer" in <connectionStrings> exists
    > or not.

    I KNEW it'd be something simple like that. Thanks!

    Of course, this raises the question...if VS2005 can automate the DB creation
    using SQL Express and automate the setting up of user accounts via the
    membership provider wizard, why can't it at the very least add the
    connection string for me? ;0)

    -Darrel

    Darrel, Oct 24, 2007
  4. > Of course, this raises the question...if VS2005 can automate the DB
    > creation using SQL Express and automate the setting up of user accounts
    > via the membership provider wizard, why can't it at the very least add the
    > connection string for me? ;0)

    Well, VS2005 never does anything like that for you.
    It's on the .Net Framework SDK tools that do for you :)

    --
    Cheers,
    Gaurav Vaish

    MasterGaurav \(www.edujini-labs.com\), Oct 25, 2007