Can't Use "ssh/rsh ... ps ..." To Windows: I.E.: cygwin not allowed, and application conflicts

clusardi2k

From a SGI and a Linux box with a known PID, how do I determine if
that process is running on a Windows computer? Please explain to
me how to do this with Java scripting.
In the Unix World, I would use something such as "ps -p<PID>" to
determine the activity of a process within Unix.
Should I go out and buy another book or can you give me a small
script (which is easily understandable) to do the task? Please
tell me how to run your script? How could I use your script with C
and C++?
Alternately, I am forbidden to install and use things such as
cygwin because they slow down the system too much.
rsh and ssh conflict with other applications already running on
the computer, so I can't use them.

Thank you,
Christopher Lusardi

P.S.:I don't know if the following is useful or not. It came from a
recent post of mine in comp.unix.questions. It has been modified
to make it much more readable without consulting the original
poster to my question. I apologize. Question: Is his suggestion
the best way to proceed? How can I develop the important details?

As inelegant as it is, one potentially available mechanism for
remotely invoking a command from (SGI/Linux) would be via a remote
print job (i.e. lpd). You can install TCP/IP remote printing
support on your Windows box and create a remote printer on the
SGI/Linux box that refers to it. So you can spool a print job from
SGI/Linux to the Windows box. If you directed the Windows side
printer device to a named pipe you have a mechanism for
transmitting commands from SGI/Linux via lpd to a server behind
that named pipe. Then you can write a simple Java program to read
from the named pipe and interpret the commands. Again, all of the
missing details are in the Windows world.