Can't view web pages with IIS 5.1

Jerry

I recently upgraded my PC from Windows XP Home to XP
Professional, so that I can use XP Pro's build in IIS
functionality to build ASP pages off of my home PC. I
have installed IIS 5.1, configured it and tried several
other things (restarting the server, configuring a web
project, etc.). When I attempt to view the page using
the project name and computer name (in this case, it
would be http://apollo/twinadev/), the status bar shows
that IE is attempting to connect to the page, but after a
long timeout period, I finally receive a Page Cannot Be
Displayed Error.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jerry

GVaught

Do you have a default document specified under that directory path within
the IIS server? Each folder can be defined to open a specific document by
just typing in the address. So for instance if you have a page called
index.asp and you add this as a default document in the IIS server console,
then you only need to type the path address, such as http://apollo/twinadev/
as long as index.asp resides under that directory path.

Jerry

Thanks for the reply - yes, I do have a default document -
default.asp - and it is listed in the IIS console as the
default document.

by the way - this issue doesn't just effect my web
projects or pages - I can't access the web based IIS help
either. None of the ASP pages on my PC are working.

Jeff Cochran

I recently upgraded my PC from Windows XP Home to XP
Professional, so that I can use XP Pro's build in IIS
functionality to build ASP pages off of my home PC. I
have installed IIS 5.1, configured it and tried several
other things (restarting the server, configuring a web
project, etc.). When I attempt to view the page using
the project name and computer name (in this case, it
would be http://apollo/twinadev/), the status bar shows
that IE is attempting to connect to the page, but after a
long timeout period, I finally receive a Page Cannot Be
Displayed Error.

How about using the "localhost" instead of the machine name? IP
address? Did you install the IIS Lockdown Tool and forget to enable
ASP/ASPX? Running Norton's or another AV/Firewall program that blocks
scripts?

Also, continue this in the IIS groups, and check Google for the
archives of the IIS group, it's commonly discussed there.

Jeff

Jarrod

do you have a virus checker installed (norton's for example)

I found that my asp pages wouldn't load but by html pages would load. The
pages appeared to 'hang' indefinitely
It was to do with the script checking in nortons antivirus.
I turned it off and restarted IIS and it is now working again.

Otherwise do HTML pages load okay?

Jarrod