CAPICOM, Certificate Stores, and ASP.NET

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by SDWR, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. SDWR

    SDWR Guest

    Hello,

    I'm working on an ASP.NET web application that takes in an encrypted data
    token and decrypts it. On my Windows XP box, I have created a public/private
    key pair using makecert.exe and imported it into the LocalMachine/MY
    certificate store. However, when I get the encrypted token, I'm getting the
    following error in my ASP page:

    Certificate for recipient(s) specified in the EnvelopedData object cannot be
    found.

    Now, when I run the exact same code as a standalone application, it works -
    this leads me to believe that my problem is permissions-oriented. I have
    downloaded and used the WinHTTPCertConfig tool to grant the ASPNET,
    IUSR_machinename and IWAM_machinename accounts private key access to the
    LOCAL_MACHINE\My key store. But when I access the local machine MY store and
    iterate through the certificates, I am still getting an error accessing the
    private key of the certificate that I want.

    Does anybody have a suggestion for getting ASPNET access to the private keys?

    TIA,

    Scott
    SDWR, Aug 10, 2004