    Charlie Bowman
    http://www.recentrambles.com

    --=-MZMQQn3f+TFcEGWkRv6w--
    Charlie Bowman, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Charlie Bowman

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Charlie Bowman wrote:

    > I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano. I'm only
    > using rails for a very small blog. Sometime in the next year I do
    > expect to start using rails at work. What are the benefits of using
    > capistrano for small apps like my blog?

    The benefits are:

    * Consistent deployment. Your deployment process works the same time
    after time, even when you start adding more resources to host it.

    * Standard practices. Your application is deployed using some
    codified "best practices".

    Now, that doesn't mean it is for everyone, but it works great for
    lots of people. For a small, single-box application, the benefits
    aren't as obvious, though. We didn't start feeling the need for
    Capistrano until Basecamp began growing beyond it's single host server.

    - Jamis
    Jamis Buck, Mar 6, 2006

  3. --=-i85oZ9rUYYsCwCHJJQmR

    Thanks, I think I'll implement it now so that I'll be prepared when I
    "really" need it.

    On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 06:56 +0900, Jamis Buck wrote:

    > On Mar 6, 2006, at 2:51 PM, Charlie Bowman wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having trouble finding the benefit of using capistrano. I'm only
    > > using rails for a very small blog. Sometime in the next year I do
    > > expect to start using rails at work. What are the benefits of using
    > > capistrano for small apps like my blog?

    > The benefits are:
    >
    > * Consistent deployment. Your deployment process works the same time
    > after time, even when you start adding more resources to host it.
    >
    > * Standard practices. Your application is deployed using some
    > codified "best practices".
    >
    > Now, that doesn't mean it is for everyone, but it works great for
    > lots of people. For a small, single-box application, the benefits
    > aren't as obvious, though. We didn't start feeling the need for
    > Capistrano until Basecamp began growing beyond it's single host server.
    >
    > - Jamis

    Charlie Bowman
    http://www.recentrambles.com

    --=-i85oZ9rUYYsCwCHJJQmR--
    Charlie Bowman, Mar 6, 2006
  4. Charlie Bowman

    Guest

    Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano? URL, please (Google just
    shows me a city somewhere in California...)
    , Mar 6, 2006
  5. Charlie Bowman

    Jamis Buck Guest

    On Mar 6, 2006, at 4:23 PM, wrote:

    > Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano? URL, please (Google
    > just
    > shows me a city somewhere in California...)

    Capistrano is a utility for executing tasks in parallel on multiple
    remote machines. The manual is located here:

    http://manuals.rubyonrails.org/read/book/17

    Hope that helps,

    - Jamis
    Jamis Buck, Mar 6, 2006
  6. wrote:
    > Forgive my ignorance, but what is capistrano? URL, please (Google just
    > shows me a city somewhere in California...)

    Makes me think of a flock of swallows flying in formation around a
    tower.... intentional, right?

    Joel VanderWerf, Mar 7, 2006
  7. Charlie Bowman

    Bil Kleb Guest

    Joel VanderWerf wrote:

    > Makes me think of a flock of swallows flying in formation around a
    > tower....

    And eventually landing on the tower and relieving
    themselves just before taking flight again...

    --
    Bil
    http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov
    Bil Kleb, Mar 7, 2006
  8. Charlie Bowman

    Guest

    There are still plenty of references to "SwitchTower" on that page, so
    just to clarify:

    SwitchTower is the same as Capistrano. Jamis changed the name due to a
    trademark clash with another software product.

    Jim
    , Mar 7, 2006