Capitalization and case of html tags?

Bruce W.1

Looking at the html produced by Visual Studio I see a mixed bag of tag
capitalization. For example there's <HEAD> and <body>. Then there's
<form and <TABLE>. Is there some logic behind the mixed casing?

Is there a right way and a wrong way? I believe that the W3C recommends
lower casing.

Thanks for your help.

Kevin Spencer

HTML is case-insensitive.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Bruce W.1

Kevin said:
HTML is case-insensitive.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

This is true. However XHTML IS case sensitive, and this is what we
should all be using, right?

Patrice Scribe

For now it doesn't really matter.

If you really want to standardize, I would go for lower casing. In
particular XHTML is case sensitive and uses lower case...

Kevin Spencer

This is true. However XHTML IS case sensitive, and this is what we
should all be using, right?

We should all be making informed decisions based upon a working knowledge of
the technologies available, not trying to reach a concensus as to what
technology is right or wrong.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Joe Molloy

Might be easier for everyone if we were all singing of the same hymn sheet
though...

It's a small thing right now but it could get bigger with the semantic web -
join me and go small case - sitting on the fence can damage your health -
especially if it's electrified...