Captcha images!

Varangian

Hi all,

wanted to ask about Captcha image! When should I used it? When there is
free text box to be filled? Should I use a Captcha when I have a page
with only click buttons? Can a bot "click a button"?

Sorry for asking some foolish questions.. I don't this is maybe not
related to asp.net but since its forms part of the web!

Thank you!

Chris Fulstow

A bot can do most things an anonymous user can. Rather than "clicking
the button" as such, a bot will usually submit data directly to the
page that handles the button click, but the effect is the same.

You should use a captcha whenever you need to prevent a bot from using
your form. This might be taking part in an online poll, registering
for a free account, posting to an anonymous messageboard, posting
comments on a blog, or anything else where you'd want to prevent
automated access to an unauthenicated bot.

Note that there are accessibility issues with some captchas that might
prevent blind or visually impaired users from using your site.

Varangian

oh thanks man .. such a good reply :)