    Regards
    Senthilvelu
    , Jul 23, 2006

  2. Matt Garrish Guest

    wrote:
    > Mine is a Client -server Acrichitecture..The client will be viewing a
    > video..if interested he will capture a video frame. and he will store
    > on the server machine..and the corresponding path of the image will be
    > stored on the server and will be used for further editions...
    >

    >From a browser, you wouldn't be able to do it unless the person

    captures the image, saves it and then uploads it through a form.

    You could write a client-side application to do the work of capturing
    the image and posting it back to the server, but that would of course
    require the user to install your app. You could write such a beast in
    Perl and compile it to an executable, but how it would work (i.e.,
    capture the image) would would depend on what OS it's run on. And you'd
    likely find yourself limited to a simple screen capture of the users
    desktop (unless the video is running in full-screen mode, I suppose).

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Jul 23, 2006

    But i thought of doing it in client server architecture with making it
    as installable application..that is in web...

    Is it not possible....do it in javascript...

    Regards
    Senthilvelu.P.J
    Matt Garrish wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Mine is a Client -server Acrichitecture..The client will be viewing a
    > > video..if interested he will capture a video frame. and he will store
    > > on the server machine..and the corresponding path of the image will be
    > > stored on the server and will be used for further editions...
    > >

    > >From a browser, you wouldn't be able to do it unless the person

    > captures the image, saves it and then uploads it through a form.
    >
    > You could write a client-side application to do the work of capturing
    > the image and posting it back to the server, but that would of course
    > require the user to install your app. You could write such a beast in
    > Perl and compile it to an executable, but how it would work (i.e.,
    > capture the image) would would depend on what OS it's run on. And you'd
    > likely find yourself limited to a simple screen capture of the users
    > desktop (unless the video is running in full-screen mode, I suppose).
    >
    > Matt
    , Jul 25, 2006
  4. Matt Garrish Guest

    wrote:

    [TOFU corrected ]

    > Matt Garrish wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > > > Mine is a Client -server Acrichitecture..The client will be viewing a
    > > > video..if interested he will capture a video frame. and he will store
    > > > on the server machine..and the corresponding path of the image will be
    > > > stored on the server and will be used for further editions...
    > > >

    > > >From a browser, you wouldn't be able to do it unless the person

    > > captures the image, saves it and then uploads it through a form.
    > >
    > > You could write a client-side application to do the work of capturing
    > > the image and posting it back to the server, but that would of course
    > > require the user to install your app. You could write such a beast in
    > > Perl and compile it to an executable, but how it would work (i.e.,
    > > capture the image) would would depend on what OS it's run on. And you'd
    > > likely find yourself limited to a simple screen capture of the users
    > > desktop (unless the video is running in full-screen mode, I suppose).
    > >

    > But i thought of doing it in client server architecture with making it
    > as installable application..that is in web...
    >
    > Is it not possible....do it in javascript...

    Is the user viewing the video in another application on the computer,
    or are you talking about a video embedded in a web page?

    Javascript only gives you access to the browser's dom, so if you're
    talking about the former it can't be done. And even if you're talking
    about an embedded movie you'd still never be able to access what's
    currently being run from a javascript.

    The only thing that springs to my mind that would have the power to do
    what you want is a custom browser plugin, but you don't write those in
    Perl (but I'd be interested if someone were to prove me wrong on that
    call).

    Matt
    Matt Garrish, Jul 26, 2006
  5. Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "Matt Garrish" <>:

    > The only thing that springs to my mind that would have the power to do
    > what you want is a custom browser plugin, but you don't write those in
    > Perl (but I'd be interested if someone were to prove me wrong on that
    > call).

    Well.... :) A Gecko plugin is just a C shared library, and an IE plugin
    is just an ActiveX control, so either could ember a Perl interpreter and
    have the majority of its code written in Perl.... :)

    Ben

    --
    Giles: It's very common for Indian spirits to change to animal form.
    Buffy: [...] and, 'Native American'. G: Sorry? B: We don't say 'Indian'.
    Ben Morrow, Jul 26, 2006