Capture a image on client machine

pjsenthil

Mine is a Client -server Acrichitecture..The client will be viewing a
video..if interested he will capture a video frame. and he will store
on the server machine..and the corresponding path of the image will be
stored on the server and will be used for further editions...

Is is possible...If so ....How..

I am not able to understand how can it be achieved....as one friend has
told in the Usenet group i tried to use Gadwin print screen but i think
it can be possible ..if the image is created on server machine...

Pl help me in this regard...If Question is not clear...ask me ..i will
give further more details..

Regards
Senthilvelu

Matt Garrish

Mine is a Client -server Acrichitecture..The client will be viewing a
video..if interested he will capture a video frame. and he will store
on the server machine..and the corresponding path of the image will be
stored on the server and will be used for further editions...
From a browser, you wouldn't be able to do it unless the person
captures the image, saves it and then uploads it through a form.

You could write a client-side application to do the work of capturing
the image and posting it back to the server, but that would of course
require the user to install your app. You could write such a beast in
Perl and compile it to an executable, but how it would work (i.e.,
capture the image) would would depend on what OS it's run on. And you'd
likely find yourself limited to a simple screen capture of the users
desktop (unless the video is running in full-screen mode, I suppose).

Matt

pjsenthil

But i thought of doing it in client server architecture with making it
as installable application..that is in web...

Is it not possible....do it in javascript...

Regards
Senthilvelu.P.J

Matt Garrish

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

[TOFU corrected ]
But i thought of doing it in client server architecture with making it
as installable application..that is in web...

Is it not possible....do it in javascript...

Is the user viewing the video in another application on the computer,
or are you talking about a video embedded in a web page?

Javascript only gives you access to the browser's dom, so if you're
talking about the former it can't be done. And even if you're talking
about an embedded movie you'd still never be able to access what's
currently being run from a javascript.

The only thing that springs to my mind that would have the power to do
what you want is a custom browser plugin, but you don't write those in
Perl (but I'd be interested if someone were to prove me wrong on that
call).

Matt

Ben Morrow

Quoth "Matt Garrish said:
The only thing that springs to my mind that would have the power to do
what you want is a custom browser plugin, but you don't write those in
Perl (but I'd be interested if someone were to prove me wrong on that
call).

Well.... :) A Gecko plugin is just a C shared library, and an IE plugin
is just an ActiveX control, so either could ember a Perl interpreter and
have the majority of its code written in Perl.... :)

Ben