Capture results of File Download dialog

skyetech

We're creating a file sharing area in our intranet. When a user clicks
on a link they can save the file to their computer. When the file is
done downloading and the 'File Download' dialog closes I want to update
the database to flag that file as checked out. Because we don't want
anyone else to download it until the file has been re-uploaded.

Does anyone know how I can know when the dialog closes? It would also
be good to know if the user clicked Cancel instead of Save.

We're standardized on XP Pro, IE6+.

Thanks.

Java script Dude

Never found such a capability.

The only way I know of is to use a download Java Applet or evil
Active-x control.

Although, if it is possible, I would love to know how for my own
document management framework.

JsD

skyetech

Thanks for the reply. We definitely want to stay away from Active-x.
I'll look into the Java possibility.

Joakim Braun

skyetech said:
We're creating a file sharing area in our intranet. When a user clicks
on a link they can save the file to their computer. When the file is
done downloading and the 'File Download' dialog closes I want to update
the database to flag that file as checked out. Because we don't want
anyone else to download it until the file has been re-uploaded.

Does anyone know how I can know when the dialog closes? It would also
be good to know if the user clicked Cancel instead of Save.

We're standardized on XP Pro, IE6+.

You can't plug into the download process using standard javascript, I
believe. Perhaps the users should explicitly check out/check in files? Once
checked out, the download is initiated and the file should only be
downloadable by the user that checked it out - the database keeps track of
that. (the user can still cancel a download, but I don't think you can get
around that problem.) ...There could also be a "download copy" feature if
other users want to read-only-access a checked-out file. And an area that
lists each user's checked out files for easy re-retrieval/checkin?