Capture SOAP envelope

PokerJoker

I'm calling a web service provided to me by one of my company's vendors. I
used visual studio to automatically generate the SOAP request but I am trying
to figure out a way to trap the soap envelope before it is sent.

Is there a program, technique, or sniffer that I can use to accomplish this?

Dilip Krishnan

Hello PokerJoker,
You should be able to use the trace utility in the Microsoft Soap Toolkit,
if you just want to see the messages sent by the client

HTH
Regards,
Dilip Krishnan
MCAD, MCSD.net
dkrishnan at geniant dot com
http://www.geniant.com

PokerJoker

Thanks Chris, but I dont need it in code at all.

The webservice at our vendor is returning errors, which in my opinion are
entirely unrelated to the envelope. They have asked me to trap the request
and email it to them to assist with debugging.

Christoph Schittko said:
Are you looking at trapping them to execute code before the message is
sent? Then you should look at building your own SoapExtension [0].

Depending on what you want to do, you'll need to plug in your code at
the BeforeSerialize or AfterSerialize stages.

HTH,
Christoph Schittko
MVP XML
http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko

[0]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpref/h
tml/frlrfsystemwebservicesprotocolssoapextensionclasstopic.asp
Posted At: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 12:35 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
Conversation: Capture SOAP envelope
Subject: Capture SOAP envelope

I'm calling a web service provided to me by one of my company's vendors.
used visual studio to automatically generate the SOAP request but I am
trying
to figure out a way to trap the soap envelope before it is sent.

Is there a program, technique, or sniffer that I can use to accomplish
this?

Mujtaba Syed

Try Simon Fells' tcpTrace utility:

http://www.pocketsoap.com/tcptrace/

Mujtaba.

Christoph Schittko said:
[...]

Thanks again to everybody who is assisting...

The trace utility as far as i can tell is designed to reside on the "host"
of the webservice...

Is there a way to configure the utility to grab the request "before it
leaves"?

Christoph Schittko said:
Then the trace tool MSSoapT shipped with the Soap Toolkit [0] that Dilip
mentioned or tcpTrace [1] should do just fine.

HTH,
Christoph Schittko
MVP XML
http://weblogs.asp.net/cschittko

[0]
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C943C0DD-CEEC-4
088-9753-86F052EC8450&displaylang=en
[1] http://www.pocketsoap.com

Posted At: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 12:35 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
Conversation: Capture SOAP envelope

I'm calling a web service provided to me by one of my company's
vendors.
used visual studio to automatically generate the SOAP request but I am
trying
to figure out a way to trap the soap envelope before it is sent.

Is there a program, technique, or sniffer that I can use to accomplish
this?

PokerJoker

Nevermind... I changed the wsdl to send the request to localhost... then i
forwarded it using the trace utility to its final destination (our vendor).

Great little utility, thanks for the help guys!