    web application?

    TIA,
    Uma

    Uma Muthu, Nov 8, 2004

  2. The only thing I could think of is using JavaScript to detect the window
    closing and then have the JavaScript fire a server side event. I haven't
    done this before so I am giving you some ideas. Try looking up now to fire
    server side code from JavaScript and then the client side code for javascript
    should be pretty easy to find to detect a window closing. Hope this helps

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=, Nov 8, 2004

  3. Uma Muthu

    bruce barker Guest

    there is no foolproof method sort of providing your own browser. the browser
    does not fire a close event that can be captured. you can get the page
    unload, but this fires on every navigation.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Nov 8, 2004
  4. Hi Uma,

    Below is a reply I've posted in the past on this topic. Ken.

    Hi,

    As others have said this is a tricky issue. The odds of you getting a
    succesful postback are 50/50 to say the best. I've had about a 95% success
    rate doing this:

    1. Capture the onbeforeunload event in your body tag.
    2. Incorporate the WebService.htc.
    3. When the onbeforeunload event fires run a function that uses the
    WebService.htc to tell a web service.

    The browser will close before you get a response back but, about 95% of the
    time, your web service will get hit and the user can successfully be logged
    out. Note, that using the latest IE and Windows XP you will achieve almost
    100% results. This is sort of complicated until you get the hang of it. If
    this isn't something you want to try then here is another suggestion to
    improve your chances but it might seem clunky to the user:

    Have a main page that the user browses to. To run your app, they click a
    button or link and then you use window.open() to create a new browser
    window. This is the window your app runs from. Don't ask me why, but the
    success rate of a postback from onbeforeunload seems to be much higher for
    browsers launched from javascript than from browsers launched by the user.
    Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Nov 8, 2004
  5. Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD], Nov 8, 2004
  6. Uma Muthu

    Uma Muthu Guest

    Thanks everyone. I found this one on net ... Very similar to what Ken said

    -Uma

    Uma Muthu, Nov 10, 2004
  7. Uma Muthu

    prash

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    Hi Steve,
    i was wondernig about where to write the line
    window.onclose = funcRef;

    prash, Jun 18, 2007
  8. Uma Muthu

    prash

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    Hi Steve,
    i was wondernig about where to write the line
    window.onclose = funcRef;

    Can you please give some suggestions?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Prash

    prash, Jun 18, 2007
  9. Uma Muthu

    prash

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2007
    Messages:

    When i navigate to some other page(using Response.Redirect), even then the event "onbeforeunload" gets fired. But i just want it to get fired only when I close IE. Can someone please help?

    Thanks and Regards,
    Prash

    prash, Jun 18, 2007