Capturing event from other custom control within another custom control

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jonah Olsson, Apr 5, 2005.

  1. Jonah Olsson

    Jonah Olsson Guest

    Hello,

    I'm trying to build an "add-on" to an already existing custom web user
    control. The old control collects some user data and saves it to a database.
    The new control should collect some extra info from the user and add it to a
    new table in the database.

    The old control should not be re-written (at least not now..), so I need a
    way of capturing the click event of the Save button in the old control. This
    event should trigger a function in the new control that saves the "add-on"
    data.

    Both controls are being added to the page at run-time and has the save level
    (the new control is no child control to the old one).

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't use bubbling events since the new
    control isn't a child control to the old control, right?

    What should I do?

    Thanks for any help!

    Regards,
    Jonah Olsson
    Jonah Olsson, Apr 5, 2005

  2. Jonah Olsson

    Scott Allen Guest

    Hi Jonah:

    Ideally you could handle the logic from some higher controller entity
    that knows what all the moving parts are and how to orchestrate them.
    This way the controls don't couple themselves together. If you want,
    you could think as the parent page as the controller, have it catch
    events from one control and forward the event to the second control.

    --
    Scott
    http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

    Scott Allen, Apr 5, 2005