Career path - where next?

Alan Harris-Reid

Hi there, I wonder if any Python folk out there can help me.

For many years I was a contractor developing desktop and web
applications using Visual Foxpro as my main language, with Foxpro,
SQL-server and Oracle as back-end databases. Unfortunately Foxpro was
killed-off by Microsoft, hence my work dried-up and my last 'big'
contract ended about a year ago. Since then I have taken time off
programming doing house-renovation, and in the last 6 months I have been
updating my programming skills by learning Python (3) with SQLite,
JavaScript, HTML and CSS to a level where I can create and deploy
data-based web-sites.

My situation now is that I am reasonably comfortable with the above
languages and am now in a position where I wish to return to employment
using my new and/or existing skills (contract/permanent, full/part-time
or teleworking). However, I have yet to find any UK vacancy which will
accept a relative 'beginner' - they all require at least 2-3 years
Python in a commercial environment. It's a catch-22 situation - it's
hard to get a job without experience, but you need a job to get
experience in the 1st place!

I would even consider doing small projects for nothing so that I can
'get my foot in the door' (although I hope to be wise-enough to know
when I am being taken advantage of!). I am also mailing CVs to agencies
I think may be interested.

If anyone out has ideas as to how to proceed towards achieving my goal,
I would be grateful for any advice.

Regards,
Alan Harris-Reid

Jon Clements

[...]

Hi Alan,

Just some ideas (not in any order, just as they're thought of):-

- Emphasise your experience with Oracle & SQL Server, and use Python
as a "I also have". It may be someone will accept that as viable
(saves them a DBA or something), and maybe you'll get into an
experienced group and get on the job training. (I assume you have good
SQL skills).

- Look at cwjobs.co.uk / monster / etc..., and search for Python. Get
a list of agencies there. Phone them *first*, explain what is it
you've done, and what you can do. If the person seems to know what
they're talking about send your CV - but chase often.

- Look at web-frameworks. Django seems to be the most listed for
"required"/"nice to have". Also check out javascript-frameworks -
jquery & extjs are the biggest 2, so at least you can say you've had
some experience.

- Perhaps phone your local job centre, and ask for a contact for their
local volunteer centre. They might have something like work for a
small charity that just needs a couple of pages done. The idea being:
1) If it's a cause you believe in, it makes up for not getting paid;
2) You can use it as an example and reference; 3) You might be able to
use it as networking - might get a free lunch from an event and meet
someone with money, that's impressed with your good will and work, and
just happens to have a job going spare...

- Build a copy of your CV designed for the web. Make sure it looks
good, is HTML/CSS compliant, and even add some nice interactive stuff
to it, and include it as a link in your CV. [The other thing you can
do, is only display the CV on entry of a short PIN (different for each
one you send - '2431' or something'), then you can log who's bothered
looking at it, and when, enabling timing of a follow-up better)].

- Look in local papers for local companies that offer not necessarily
web design, but possibly just print design. See if you can't have a
chat with them and get some work your way. Other options might be new-
starts up, non-chain pubs, community/sports clubs, a local church for
fund-raising, your local chinese/indian takeaway - wouldn't hurt to
put their menu online with an online order form would it!? [What you
might find about this, is that as they're not likely to be technical,
you can take your own time, charge a reasonable amount, experiment a
little and learn, and not have too tight deadlines or someone looking
over your shoulder].

Brain (or somewhere else) dump finished.

hth

Jon.