cas in python

ondrej.certik

Hello,
from time to time, people here are asking about the computer algebra
system (cas) in python. I wonder, is there a demand for such a thing?

I would be interested in functionality of at least ginac, but
something, which could easily be extended. Ginac (pyginac or swiginac)
are fine, but it seems to me to be too complex and contains a lot of
redundant code (imho). What I need is not a speed in the first place,
but rather rich features and simple code which I (and others) can
extend. I would like to experiment with new features, functions, etc.,
but using a normal language like python (or c++). Which is quite
difficult in ginac or maple/mathematica.

I also (like other people here) wrote a proof of concept a year ago:

http://ondrej.certik.cz/cas.php

and I also (like others) don't have much time to continue on it. On the
other hand, it really does seem possible to write it in a way, which is
very easy to understand, yet feature rich.

So if anyone is interested in developing such a thing, please let me
know. Or at least what you think about it - does it make sense to write
another cas?

Ondrej

faulkner

import ctypes
ctypes.cdll.find('ginac')

i like designing APIs, and i'm up for learning ctypes, so i'll help
wrap ginac using ctypes.