    optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.
    , Sep 6, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Why are they so called? I can understand the style bit. But they're
    > not cascading in any shape or form. And as for sheets, that's a bit
    > optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    > instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.

    I don't know where the term "sheet" came from. For "cascading", see my
    <http://www.rossde.com/Webdevelopers.html#css>.

    --

    David E. Ross
    <http://www.rossde.com/>

    Concerned about someone (e.g., Pres. Bush) snooping
    into your E-mail? Use PGP.
    See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/>
    David E. Ross, Sep 6, 2006

  3. Steve Pugh Guest

    wrote:
    > Why are they so called? I can understand the style bit. But they're
    > not cascading in any shape or form. And as for sheets, that's a bit
    > optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    > instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.

    Maybe you should take another look at the spec where it defines what
    cascading means - http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/cascade.html#cascade

    And the term 'style sheet' predates CSS by many years, so I don't see
    what else they could call it.

    Can you tell us why you don't think CSS cascades and why you don't
    think it's composed of style sheets?

    Steve
    Steve Pugh, Sep 6, 2006
  4. In alt.html, David E. Ross wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Why are they so called? I can understand the style bit. But they're
    >> not cascading in any shape or form.

    Yes they are...

    >> And as for sheets, that's a bit
    >> optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    >> instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.

    > I don't know where the term "sheet" came from. For "cascading", see my
    > <http://www.rossde.com/Webdevelopers.html#css>.

    Perhaps you meant this link? :)
    <http://www.rossde.com/internet/Webdevelopers.html#css>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 6, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > Why are they so called? I can understand the style bit. But they're
    > not cascading in any shape or form. And as for sheets, that's a bit
    > optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    > instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.

    A CSS stylesheet is as much a stylesheet as a web "page" is a page. Both
    terms come from their analogs in the printing world.
    Harlan Messinger, Sep 6, 2006
  6. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > In alt.html, David E. Ross wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>> Why are they so called? I can understand the style bit. But they're
    >>> not cascading in any shape or form.

    > Yes they are...
    >
    >>> And as for sheets, that's a bit
    >>> optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    >>> instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.

    >> I don't know where the term "sheet" came from. For "cascading", see my
    >> <http://www.rossde.com/Webdevelopers.html#css>.

    > Perhaps you meant this link? :)
    > <http://www.rossde.com/internet/Webdevelopers.html#css>

    Oops! Yes, you are correct.

    David E. Ross, Sep 6, 2006
  7. Info_Junkie Guest

    wrote:
    > Why are they so called? I can understand the style bit. But they're
    > not cascading in any shape or form. And as for sheets, that's a bit
    > optimistic, since you can have an external file / sheet of CSS
    > instructions, but it doesn't really merit that description.

    The "Cascading" part refers to "inheritance". Inline styling takes
    precedence over the style sheet on the page, the page style sheet takes
    precedence over an external style page.

    Info_Junkie
    Info_Junkie, Sep 8, 2006
  8. Info_Junkie <> scripsit:

    > The "Cascading" part refers to "inheritance".

    No it doesn't.

    > Inline styling takes
    > precedence over the style sheet on the page, the page style sheet
    > takes precedence over an external style page.

    Under some circumstances, perhaps. And this has nothing to do with
    inheritance.

    To learn to understand CSS concepts, try reading a book or an online
    tutorial or specification - and if problems remain, ask in a group devoted
    to stylesheets, not HTML.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 8, 2006
  9. dorayme Guest

    In article <x_7Mg.6863$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Info_Junkie <> scripsit:
    >
    > > The "Cascading" part refers to "inheritance".

    > No it doesn't.
    >
    > > Inline styling takes
    > > precedence over the style sheet on the page, the page style sheet
    > > takes precedence over an external style page.

    > Under some circumstances, perhaps. And this has nothing to do with
    > inheritance.
    >
    > To learn to understand CSS concepts, try reading a book or an online
    > tutorial or specification - and if problems remain, ask in a group devoted
    > to stylesheets, not HTML.

    Damn... what are you doing up Korpela? This is the Southern
    Hemisphere help desk shift. [God help everyone... when I am on it
    alone... :) ]

    Cascading has more to do with the idea of different style sheets
    relating to a document, there being rules that determine which
    css instruction applies when there is a 'conflict' between
    sheets. The settlement of such 'conflict' is arbitrated
    especially according to the order in which the sheets are
    specified (as in the head) but there are other criteria too...

    This is a different idea to inheritance. Inheritance is a concept
    that operates even within parts of perhaps the single only sheet.
    To determine what things a child will inherit, one must find the
    parent. Finding the true parent involves fossicking about through
    the sheets and attending to the cascading rules. This is where
    some confusion can arise about the two ideas.

    I can recommend the following book, it is nicely written and I
    don't know why, but the authors with quite unlikely names, seem
    to know what they are talking about:

    Cascading Style Sheets by Hakon Wium Lie & Bert Bos.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 8, 2006
  10. Andy Dingley Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > I can recommend the following book, it is nicely written and I
    > don't know why, but the authors with quite unlikely names, seem
    > to know what they are talking about:
    >
    > Cascading Style Sheets by Hakon Wium Lie & Bert Bos.

    Read the CSS spec too, particularly the contributors' names.
    Andy Dingley, Sep 8, 2006
  11. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > I can recommend the following book, it is nicely written and I
    > > don't know why, but the authors with quite unlikely names, seem
    > > to know what they are talking about:
    > >
    > > Cascading Style Sheets by Hakon Wium Lie & Bert Bos.

    > Read the CSS spec too, particularly the contributors' names.

    I know what you mean. The information you refer to is actually in
    the book itself. I got this book out from my local library
    because it was obvious it was well written. It started to
    interest me that they wrote in such a clear manner and yet
    obviously had this rather impressive grasp. I was also impressed
    by the low key factual manner of their tract, no strident
    advocacy. That alerted me to a hidden power, a confidence. I am
    not kidding you. The two things are not always connected in
    teachers! And I recall looking the book up and down for more info
    on them, there was stuff somewhere, on the blurb or inside
    cover...

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Sep 8, 2006
  12. Andy Dingley Guest

    dorayme wrote:

    > > > Cascading Style Sheets by Hakon Wium Lie & Bert Bos.

    > I got this book out from my local library
    > because it was obvious it was well written.

    Still my favourite CSS book.

    I'm planning to read Hakon Lie's PhD thesis this weekend (link posted
    recently).
    Andy Dingley, Sep 8, 2006