caseless dict - questions

Phoe6

I have a requirement for using caseless dict. I searched the web for
many different implementations and found one snippet which was
implemented in minimal and useful way.

#############
import UserDict

class CaseInsensitiveDict(dict, UserDict.DictMixin):
def __init__(self, *args, **kwargs):
self.orig = {}
super(CaseInsensitiveDict, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs)
def items(self):
keys = dict.keys(self)
values = dict.values(self)
return [(self.orig[k],v) for k in keys for v in values]
def __setitem__(self, k, v):
hash_val = hash(k.lower())
self.orig[hash_val] = k
dict.__setitem__(self, hash_val, v)
def __getitem__(self, k):
return dict.__getitem__(self, hash(k.lower()))

obj = CaseInsensitiveDict()
obj['Name'] = 'senthil'
print obj
print obj.items()

obj1 = {}
obj1['Name'] = 'senthil'
print obj1
print obj1.items()
###########
[ors@goofy python]$ python cid1.py
{15034981: 'senthil'}
[('Name', 'senthil')]
{'Name': 'senthil'}
[('Name', 'senthil')]

---
The difference between the Caselessdict and {} is that when called as
the object, the Caselessdict() is giving me the internal
representation.
obj = CaseInsensitiveDict()
obj['Name'] = 'senthil'
print obj
gives: {15034981: 'senthil'}

obj1 = {}
obj1['Name'] = 'senthil'
print obj1
Correctly gives {'Name': 'senthil'}

What changes should I make to CaseInsensitiveDict ( written above), so
that its instance gives the actual dictionary instead of its internal
representation.
Constructing a dictionary and returning from __init__ method did not
work.

TIA,
Senthil

Jeff

Use the __str__ and __unicode__ methods to control the printed
representation of a class.

oj

[...]

What I think you need to do, is define a __repr__(self) method (see
http://docs.python.org/ref/customization.html)

Something like:

def __repr__(self):
return dict(self.items())

I /think/ will work. I haven't tested it though. This isn't exactly
what repr is supposed to do - evaling it won't give you the correct
object back. Defining __str__ might be a better approach.

-Oli