cataloging MS Word Docs with ASP.NET and SQL

MDB

Once again, just looking to see if my thinking is off base (there's that
naivete again) or if there's a better approach. The requirement is for users
to create MS Word documents that will eventually find their way into a
central directory on the server. Once they're in that place, I'm looking for
a way to 'catalog' them, in effect, extracting information from data fields
in each document, as well as the document's location as a URL, to store in a
SQL database, and then, of course, use an ASP.NET application for other end
users to view the documents in their browser. Please note that the need is
NOT to store the entire document in the SQL db, just data from fields that
would be on the template that all the Word documents would be created from.
However, access those fields from an ASP.NET application appears to involve
invoking the Word object over and over again, and tests have been wholly
unsatisfactory. I've considered a VBScript, but would not have a central
location to place the macro, and so haven't even tested that approach. The
information I would need to store about each document include various
categories concerning the document's contents, so it isn't just a matter of
reading the directory and scooping up document names. Is there any other
approach that I could possibly consider?

MDBloemker
(e-mail address removed)

mdb

Unfort6unately, in my immediate environment, 3rd party products are
heavily discouraged; our solutions are supposed to be self contained,
with no reliance on components that either a) cost the company money
or b) do not provide source code and/or allow customization. The
product looks intriguing, but it's far too feature heavy for the
purpose I had in mind. Thanks anyway!.