Catch-21 with WMI / TrustLevel

Jeff Bowman

With a Catch-22, of course, there's no way out. You're stuck. A Catch-21, on
the other hand, is one level down in severity and therefore may be exited by
the clever and crafty. I believe this to be one such situation.

So here's the problem...

I'm putting the finishing touches on the licensing for a custom server
control I've built for sale to whomever might be interested and feel that
it's good value for the money. Naturally folks are going to be running it in
shared hosting environments, which traditionally run under partial trust
(and wisely so).

I want to prevent piracy, and so I was thinking about tying each license to
a specific machine, via CPU serial number or something like that. Trouble
is, that sort of info is retrieved via WMI, which of course requires full
trust. So that's not an option.

Am I stuck with leaving myself open to people copying the assembly and
license file to any machine at will? I sure hope not...

Thanks ahead for any ideas.