    by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
    coming back to validate again. Thanks.
    , Feb 20, 2007

  2. spiff Guest

    On 20 Feb., 03:02, wrote:
    > I want to see all errors and fix it all before coming back to validate again. Thanks.

    You could try ValidatorBuddy from http://www.spycomponents.com which
    supports the Xerces validator (also Saxon if installed) and those
    would show you all errors at once.

    Regards
    spiff, Feb 20, 2007

  3. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I used XMLSpy to validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
    > Is there anyway to make XMLSpy to catch all errors at once. If XMLSpy
    > does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
    > have a very large document with many related files and validating one
    > by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
    > coming back to validate again. Thanks.

    Many validators do this but if the file is very badly formed, some
    errors may make later mistakes so badly broken that it will have to give
    up, so most of them have a (resettable) limit -- eg onsgmls stops after
    200 errors by default.

    ///Peter
    Peter Flynn, Feb 21, 2007

    Liquid Technolgoies have a couple of free validators that can validate
    XSD schemas, and validate XML documents against there XSD.
    See http://www.liquid-technologies.com/Tools/FreeTools.aspx

    Also have a look at there Graphical XSD editor (also FREE), we've been
    using it for quite a while now, and its pretty much on a par with
    XmlSpy, and blows Stylus studio out the water.
    http://www.liquid-technologies.com/LiquidXMLStudio.aspx

    On 21 Feb, 00:22, Peter Flynn <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > > I used XMLSpy to validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
    > > Is there anyway to make XMLSpy to catch all errors at once. If XMLSpy
    > > does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
    > > have a very large document with many related files and validating one
    > > by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
    > > coming back to validate again. Thanks.

    > Many validators do this but if the file is very badly formed, some
    > errors may make later mistakes so badly broken that it will have to give
    > up, so most of them have a (resettable) limit -- eg onsgmls stops after
    > 200 errors by default.
    >
    > ///Peter
    , Mar 4, 2007
  5. Jerry Guest

    On Feb 19, 9:02 pm, wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > I usedXMLSpyto validate my XML but it catched one error at a time.
    > Is there anyway to makeXMLSpyto catch all errors at once. IfXMLSpy
    > does not have this feature, what software out there can do this? I
    > have a very large document with many related files and validating one
    > by one is a hassle. I want to see all errors and fix it all before
    > coming back to validate again. Thanks.

    Hi,
    Sure, XMLSpy doesn't list all the possible errors, instead if there
    are any errors, it list the first one it encounters and ask you to
    make any corrections before proceeding to the next error if there are
    any. Ideally, I find this approach much better instead of trying to
    fix all the errors reported or pick which ones to fix first. In the
    meantime, we currently do have this feature logged as a feature
    request. Thank you

    http://www.altova.com
    Jerry, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Tony Lavinio Guest

    wrote:
    > Also have a look at there Graphical XSD editor (also FREE), we've been
    > using it for quite a while now, and its pretty much on a par with
    > XmlSpy, and blows Stylus studio out the water.

    Free is good, sometimes.

    And if "blows Stylus Studio" out of the water means "it looks a
    little prettier," we're in agreement.

    But it lacks schema refactoring, schema documentation generation,
    and XML instance generation, all of which both spy and Stylus
    Studio provide, and it doesn't scale with documents larger than
    a few hundred K.

    Empirical evidence is good, lists of pros and cons is good,
    lists of features supported and not supported is also good.
    Subjective statements don't help others make informed decisions
    though.

    On the original topic, there are lots of good validators.
    Xerces from the Apache project is pretty decent, and the Saxonica
    validator (http://www.saxonica.com/) has excellent diagnostics.
    The .net validators and XSV also have their place.

    Stylus Studio includes all of the above, including Saxon's which
    we license. I've found it useful to try validating with more than
    one editor, since we don't always know what environment the XSD
    will be used in once it is released into the wild. And different
    ones have different strengths and often catch different problems.

    And most don't suffer from the one-defect-and-I-stop problem.

    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_schema.html has more information
    on validators, including IBM's Schema Quality Checker and Sun's
    Multi-Schema Validator.

    A free evaluation copy of Stylus Studio is available from
    http://www.stylusstudio.com/xml_download.html which includes
    all of the above-mentioned validators. Try it if only to decide
    which validator you'd prefer, since it bundles them all in one
    place.

    --
    Tony Lavinio <> DataDirect <> Stylus Studio XML <>
    XQuery, XSLT, XML Schema and EDI Toolset <> http://www.stylusstudio.com/
    Tony Lavinio, Mar 5, 2007
  7. Visual Studio reports all errors it finds. Express version of VS is free
    and can be downloaded from http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

    --
    Stan Kitsis
    Program Manager, XML Technologies