catch an 401.2 error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Alexander Stojakovic, Oct 10, 2003.

  1. Dear collegues!

    I am trying to create a single Login Application, that can either
    authenticate against a database or against ADSI. Intenal users
    can have both an NT Account and anotherone (AppAccount)
    in the database (as clients would normaly have) and should be
    able to decide which one to use. However (you know how
    clients are) should an automatic authentication against ADSI
    be tried at first.

    So I created 2 web forms Login.aspx (Anonymous Access)
    and LoginNtlm.aspx (Integrated Security)

    First the user hits Login.aspx, where I check his IP address to
    see if the request comes from within my network (in this case
    I can be sure, that the user is not a client and therefore has
    an ADSI account) or from outside (user can be an employee
    or client).

    If the user comes from outside Login.aspx is displayed and the
    user can authenticate against the database or click on a link to
    LoginNtlm.aspx to authenticate against ADSI.

    If the request is internal the user is automaticaly redirected to
    LoginNtlm.aspx. If the user has configured his browser as we
    expect it he will be prompted to enter his NT credentials. If the
    user decides not to use his NT account, but instead wants to
    enter with his AppAccount (for special purposes or test purposes)
    he should be able to click Cancel and then be redirected to the
    Login.aspx.

    My problem now is, that I didn't find a way to catch the 401.2 error
    on LoginNtlm.apsx to be able to redirect the usere as required,

    best regards

    Sascha
    Alexander Stojakovic, Oct 10, 2003