Categories of Perl questions

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David K. Wall, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. While cleaning up the hard drive and deleting old files, I found one
    I created some time ago as a casual attempt to categorize the kinds
    of questions asked in comp.lang.perl.misc. In the hope that some
    here might find it interesting, here's what I came up with:

    Some ad-hoc categories of Perl questions

    OP should not be programming (earthquake guy)
    Not Perl-related (CGI, "You folks are rude")
    No code or too much code ("Write my program for me")
    Code is hopeless
    OP isn't familiar with standard idioms and is unwilling to learn
    self-answering question ("How do I find the length of a string?")
    FAQ/RTFM ("Does \s in a regex mean whitespace?")
    strictures and warnings would have found the error
    use a module
    OP isn't familiar with standard idioms but is willing to learn
    can get a solution with a little thought or experimenting
    solution would take some time and effort, but is conceptually easy
    solution would take some time and effort, conceptually difficult
    some ideas for solution, but reluctant to offer possibly
    erroneous advice
    not familiar with problem area
    no clue how to help
    David K. Wall, Mar 7, 2005