Ccopying a datatable content from an untyped dataset into a table which is inside a typed dataset

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nedu N, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Nedu N

    Nedu N Guest

    Hi All,
    I am facing problem in copying content of table from a untyped dataset into
    to a table inside the typed dataset. I wanted to copy the data into typed
    dataset in order to ease the further processing using typed references.

    DataSet ds = getDataFromDB(); - i am getting the dataset ds from a
    webservice

    I have got MyXSD which decsribes the shcema for the table which i am getting
    from the webservice
    and i am trying to cast like following
    MyXSD myds = (MyXSD)ds; ==> but giving me invalid exception error

    And i tried copying the table from ds into myds like
    myds.Tables[0] = ds.Tables[0];

    but it is giving me error saying myds.Tables[0] is READ ONLY....

    I tried ImportRow also but getting errors and i don't want to manually go
    thru the rows and put into my Typed dataset..

    Thanks for your help.

    Nedu

    Nedu N, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Nedu N

    Chris Taylor Guest

    Hi,

    I believe (read that as I have not tried it!) that you can accomplish this
    with the Merge member of the DataSet.

    DataSet ds = getDataFromDB();
    MyDataSet myds = new MyDataSet();

    myds.Merge( ds );

    For the cast to work your getDataFromDB() would have to actually be creating
    a strongly typed dataset and merely return it as a generic DataSet.

    Hope this helps

    Chris Taylor

    Chris Taylor, Oct 31, 2003