Ccopying a datatable content from an untyped dataset into a table which is inside a typed dataset

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Nedu N, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Nedu N

    Nedu N Guest

    Hi All,
    I am facing problem in copying content of table from a untyped dataset into
    to a table inside the typed dataset. I wanted to copy the data into typed
    dataset in order to ease the further processing using typed references.

    DataSet ds = getDataFromDB(); - i am getting the dataset ds from a
    webservice

    I have got MyXSD which decsribes the shcema for the table which i am getting
    from the webservice
    and i am trying to cast like following
    MyXSD myds = (MyXSD)ds; ==> but giving me invalid exception error

    And i tried copying the table from ds into myds like
    myds.Tables[0] = ds.Tables[0];

    but it is giving me error saying myds.Tables[0] is READ ONLY....

    I tried ImportRow also but getting errors and i don't want to manually go
    thru the rows and put into my Typed dataset..

    Thanks for your help.

    Nedu
    Nedu N, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Nedu N

    Chris Taylor Guest

    Hi,

    I believe (read that as I have not tried it!) that you can accomplish this
    with the Merge member of the DataSet.

    DataSet ds = getDataFromDB();
    MyDataSet myds = new MyDataSet();

    myds.Merge( ds );

    For the cast to work your getDataFromDB() would have to actually be creating
    a strongly typed dataset and merely return it as a generic DataSet.

    Hope this helps

    Chris Taylor

    Chris Taylor, Oct 31, 2003

  3. Hi Nedu,

    I noticed that you posted the same question in the
    public.dotnet.framework.adonet group. One of our team members has replied
    you on that thread, please check it when you have time.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 31, 2003