CD image creator

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, May 10, 2004.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
    backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.

    I need to either

    1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
    can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
    they may even include the ecc codes.

    2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
    list of files but in a proprietary binary format.

    3. find some program that will take a list of files and use the
    Windows CD burner driver.

    Ideally there would be some platform independent way of doing it.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 10, 2004

  2. Roedy Green wrote:

    > I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
    > backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.
    >
    > I need to either
    >
    > 1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
    > can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
    > they may even include the ecc codes.
    >
    > 2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
    > list of files but in a proprietary binary format.
    >
    > 3. find some program that will take a list of files and use the
    > Windows CD burner driver.
    >
    > Ideally there would be some platform independent way of doing it.

    You can create iso files using mkisofs, a commandline program which is part
    of cdrtools.

    <http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/mkisofs.html>

    It runs on about every *nix system and windows.

    --
    Kind regards,
    Christophe Vanfleteren

    Christophe Vanfleteren, May 10, 2004

  3. Roedy Green wrote:
    > I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
    > backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.

    The CD format is an ISO standard (hence people started to incorrectly
    call CD images "isos"). Actually, there is a whole standards series.
    They are called "<some color> Book", e.g. Blue Book or Red Book.

    The standard series is huge and complex. Consider using some existing
    software instead of writing your own in Java. I think there is at least
    one commercial Java product out there. If it doesn't have to be Java,
    there is some good Open Source C software out there which you could use
    via exec(). mkisofs is very common.

    > 1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
    > can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
    > they may even include the ecc codes.
    >
    > 2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
    > list of files but in a proprietary binary format.

    Hmmm, Roxio has the habit of changing the cl format from release to
    release. If I remember correctly, newer products can't even read the
    older files. So if you create cl5s, you might end up in a dead end.

    /Thomas

    Thomas Weidenfeller, May 10, 2004
  4. Roedy Green

    Nigel Wade Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > I would like to write a program that decides which files need to be
    > backed up to CD. It produces a list of files.
    >
    > I need to either
    >
    > 1. convert that to a *.iso or *.cif file that Roxio Easy CD Creator
    > can eat and turn into a CD. These are both binary formats. I suspect
    > they may even include the ecc codes.
    >
    > 2. convert that to a Roxio *.cl5 project file which is mainly just a
    > list of files but in a proprietary binary format.
    >
    > 3. find some program that will take a list of files and use the
    > Windows CD burner driver.
    >
    > Ideally there would be some platform independent way of doing it.

    Pardon?
    You want a platform independent way of using Roxio or the Windows CD burner?

    Hmm. If you can find me a platform independent verion of the Windows CD
    burner that I can run on a Linux, Solaris or IRIX system, I might be able to
    help...

    E-mail :
    Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

    Nigel Wade, May 11, 2004
  5. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 14:30:33 +0100, Nigel Wade <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >Pardon?
    >You want a platform independent way of using Roxio or the Windows CD burner?

    Heavens no. I would like a platform-independent way of burning a CD.
    Interfacing to Roxio would be a platform dependent way, the best I can
    think of so far.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 11, 2004