CDATA in an xsl transformation

Discussion in 'XML' started by Tjerk Wolterink, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Hello all,

    I've a problem:

    i've an xsl file that has a template that contains
    the following:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <![CDATA[

    a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }

    ]]>>
    </script>

    Ok when this is transformed i get the following:

    <script type="text/javascript">

    a long javascript with &lt; &gt; characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i&lt;xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }

    </script>

    But i dont want this, because javascript does not now &lt; and &gt;
    So i used:

    <script type="text/javascript"><xsl:text disable-output-escaping="yes"><![CDATA[

    a long javascript with &lt; &gt; characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i&lt;xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }

    ]]></xsl:text></script>

    Ok now i get:

    <script type="text/javascript">

    a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }

    </script>

    But because it is all part of an web-application i want to
    get valid xhtml. This is not valid.So what i want is this as output:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <![CDATA[

    a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }

    ]]>
    </script>

    How do i do that with xslt??
    Tjerk Wolterink, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Tjerk Wolterink

    Joris Gillis Guest

    Tempore 18:12:59, die Friday 07 January 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit Tjerk Wolterink <>:

    > But because it is all part of an web-application i want to
    > get valid xhtml. This is not valid.So what i want is this as output:
    ><script type="text/javascript">
    > <![CDATA[
    >a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    > for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    > }
    >]]>
    > </script>

    Just specify 'cdata-section-elements' attribute

    <xsl:eek:utput cdata-section-elements="script" method="xml"/>

    regards,
    "Quot capita, tot sententiae" - Terentius , Phormio 454
    Joris Gillis, Jan 7, 2005

  3. Joris Gillis wrote:
    > Tempore 18:12:59, die Friday 07 January 2005 AD, hinc in foro
    > {comp.text.xml} scripsit Tjerk Wolterink <>:
    >
    >> But because it is all part of an web-application i want to
    >> get valid xhtml. This is not valid.So what i want is this as output:
    >> <script type="text/javascript">
    >> <![CDATA[
    >> a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    >> for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    >> }
    >> ]]>
    >> </script>
    >>

    > Just specify 'cdata-section-elements' attribute
    >
    > <xsl:eek:utput cdata-section-elements="script" method="xml"/>
    >

    > regards,

    ok i understand, but now i want the output to be:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<![CDATA[
    a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }
    //]]>
    </script>

    Those // are javascript comments, these are neccesary because some old browsers
    do support javascript but do not support xml, so i have to comment them out with //
    ..

    How would you do that?
    Tjerk Wolterink, Jan 8, 2005
  4. Tjerk Wolterink

    Joris Gillis Guest

    Tempore 11:05:57, die Saturday 08 January 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit Tjerk Wolterink <>:

    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > //<![CDATA[
    > a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    > for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    > }
    > //]]>
    > </script>
    >
    > Those // are javascript comments, these are neccesary because some old browsers
    > do support javascript but do not support xml, so i have to comment them out with //
    >
    > How would you do that?

    To the best of my knowledge, XSLT1.0 does not provide a way to create a CDATA section from only a part of a text node.

    I'm not really convinced that there would ever be need of such output, but if you really need it and don't mind dirty hacks, you could use something like this:

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <xsl:eek:utput method="html"/>

    <xsl:template match="script">

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <![CDATA[
    //<![CDATA[
    a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    }
    //]]>
    ]]>
    </script>

    </xsl:template>

    </xsl:stylesheet>

    regards,
    Vincit omnia simplicitas
    Keep it simple
    Joris Gillis, Jan 8, 2005
  5. Tjerk Wolterink

    Joris Gillis Guest

    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > //<![CDATA[
    > a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    > for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    > }
    > //]]>
    > </script>
    >
    > How would you do that?

    If the output type of your XSL is set to 'xml' (to produce xhtml) , I think this problem is literally unsolvable.

    Vincit omnia simplicitas
    Keep it simple
    Joris Gillis, Jan 8, 2005
  6. Joris Gillis wrote:

    >> <script type="text/javascript">
    >> //<![CDATA[
    >> a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    >> for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    >> }
    >> //]]>
    >> </script>
    >>
    >> How would you do that?

    > If the output type of your XSL is set to 'xml' (to produce xhtml) , I
    > think this problem is literally unsolvable.

    Thanks for your time, i already thought it was difficult to solve, but
    i want both be xhtml-valid and cross-browser, those things collide.

    On solution is to put the javascript in a separe js file and include it using <script src=""/>
    But its a really page specific javascript so therefore i want to include it inline.

    But anyways, thanks.
    Tjerk Wolterink, Jan 8, 2005
  7. Tjerk Wolterink

    Joris Gillis Guest

    Tempore 11:49:41, die Saturday 08 January 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit Joris Gillis <>:

    >> <script type="text/javascript">
    >> //<![CDATA[
    >> a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    >> for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    >> }
    >> //]]>
    >> </script>
    >>
    >> How would you do that?

    > If the output type of your XSL is set to 'xml' (to produce xhtml) , I think this problem is literally unsolvable.

    Forget what I said, I was plain wrong...

    This is a working - but rather ugly - solution:

    <?xml version='1.0' encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <xsl:eek:utput method="xml"/>

    <xsl:template match="/">

    Joris Gillis, Jan 8, 2005
  8. In article <>,
    "Joris Gillis" <> wrote:

    > To the best of my knowledge, XSLT1.0 does not provide a way to create a CDATA
    > section from only a part of a text node.
    >
    > I'm not really convinced that there would ever be need of such output,

    There is no need when the output is subjected to proper XML processing.

    Producing XHTML with XSLT and serving it as text/html without a
    specialized Appendix C converter is a bad idea. Using inline style
    sheets or scripts in such a situation is an even worse idea.

    --
    Henri Sivonen

    http://iki.fi/hsivonen/
    Mozilla Web Author FAQ: http://mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html
    Henri Sivonen, Jan 8, 2005
  9. Tjerk Wolterink

    Peter Flynn Guest

    Tjerk Wolterink wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I've a problem:
    >
    > i've an xsl file that has a template that contains
    > the following:
    >
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > <![CDATA[
    >
    > a long javascript with < > characters, like:
    > for(var i=0;i<xmlDataFunctions.length;i++) {
    > }
    >
    > ]]>>
    > </script>

    FAQ.