    group and members.
    regards,
    prasanth.
    shanti, Jun 3, 2007

  2. shanti

    Tim Prince Guest

    Tim Prince, Jun 3, 2007

  3. Tim Prince <> wrote:
    > shanti wrote:

    >> Question 1.21 i read about cdecl . i
    >> am working with "turbo c" on a windows xp mechine. can any one
    >> provide link where i can get the compatable cdecl.

    > Read further in the FAQ, the information appears to remain valid.
    > ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume14/cdecl2

    It would be nice to see intelligent responses to questions in this group.
    Perhaps someday.

    For instance, besides noting that the FAQ does not address his question,
    the cited URL points to a shar file.

    I suppose the minor details of unpacking the file and making it usable
    for OP's environment are off-topic.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net
    Thomas Dickey, Jun 4, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Thomas Dickey <> wrote:

    >It would be nice to see intelligent responses to questions in this group.
    >Perhaps someday.

    >For instance, besides noting that the FAQ does not address his question,
    >the cited URL points to a shar file.

    >I suppose the minor details of unpacking the file and making it usable
    >for OP's environment are off-topic.

    A quick Google suggests that this may be useful for unpacking:

    http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/sharutils.htm

    I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
    so making it usable should not be a problem.

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
    Richard Tobin, Jun 4, 2007
  5. Richard Tobin <> wrote:

    > I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
    > so making it usable should not be a problem.

    X MANIFEST 1 This shipping list
    X cdecl.1 1
    X cdecl.c 2
    X cdgram.y 1
    X cdlex.l 1
    X makefile 1
    X testset 1
    X testset++ 1

    hmm - "non-standard" or unusual. Since it uses lex and yacc,
    that makes it the former (only in this newsgroup of course).

    offhand - this isn't the first (or even second) request for this
    information in this newsgroup in the past month or so.
    The faq doesn't provide the information requested...

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net
    Thomas Dickey, Jun 4, 2007
  6. Thomas Dickey wrote:
    > Richard Tobin <> wrote:
    >
    >> I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
    >> so making it usable should not be a problem.

    > X MANIFEST 1 This shipping list
    > X cdecl.1 1
    > X cdecl.c 2
    > X cdgram.y 1
    > X cdlex.l 1
    > X makefile 1
    > X testset 1
    > X testset++ 1
    >
    > hmm - "non-standard" or unusual. Since it uses lex and yacc,
    > that makes it the former (only in this newsgroup of course).
    >
    > offhand - this isn't the first (or even second) request for this
    > information in this newsgroup in the past month or so.
    > The faq doesn't provide the information requested...

    It took me 30 seconds with Google to find a cdecl, and another minute to
    compile it on Unix.

    --
    clvrmnky <mailto:>

    Direct replies will be blacklisted. Replace "spamtrap" with my name to
    contact me directly.
    Clever Monkey, Jun 4, 2007
  7. Thomas Dickey, Jun 4, 2007
  8. shanti <> wrote:
    > hi,
    > I know that this may not be the question has to be raised in this
    > group. in comp.lang.c FAQ list · Question 1.21 i read about cdecl . i
    > am working with "turbo c" on a windows xp mechine. can any one
    > provide link where i can get the compatable cdecl. i tryed but i
    > could not found it in google search. please help me. thanks to the
    > group and members.
    > regards,
    > prasanth.

    actually cdecl's off-topic (mention of tools in the faq doesn't seem to
    make things on-topic, accurate, or even guarantee that readers of this
    newsgroup can provide useful information about them ;-).

    Some people might choose to compile it (awkward if you don't have a source).
    It's a useful learning exercise (but doesn't bear much on the "C" language).

    Finding "cdecl" on Windows is complicated in a web-search since some
    compiler headers contain a matching keyword. However, a web-search is
    more reliable than asking in a newsgroup such as this.

    Trying "cdecl.zip", which gives several likely hits, but it appears
    they're for MS-DOS (likely to be a problem on anything newer than
    the FAQ, which generally provides at best ten-year-old information).
    But that's the easiest route.

    I'd simply compile it if I had a use for it - requires lex and yacc.
    "turbo c" should be able to build those - (flex 2.54a and yacc).

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net
    Thomas Dickey, Jun 4, 2007
  9. Richard Tobin <> wrote:
    > I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
    > so making it usable should not be a problem.

    it uses getopt (nonstandard in this newsgroup ;-)

    For OP that would be another problem, of course.

    --
    Thomas E. Dickey
    http://invisible-island.net
    Thomas Dickey, Jun 4, 2007
  10. In article <>,
    Thomas Dickey <> wrote:

    >it uses getopt (nonstandard in this newsgroup ;-)
    >
    >For OP that would be another problem, of course.

    Not really. Look more closely at the code:

    #ifndef NOGETOPT
    extern int optind;
    #else
    /* This is a miniature version of getopt() which will */
    /* do just barely enough for us to get by below. */
    /* Options are not allowed to be bunched up together. */
    /* Option arguments are not supported. */
    int optind = 1;
    [...]

    -- Richard
    in some alphabets" - X3.4, 1963.
    Richard Tobin, Jun 4, 2007
  11. shanti

    jaysome Guest

    On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:10:00 -0000, Thomas Dickey
    <> wrote:

    >Tim Prince <> wrote:
    >> shanti wrote:

    >>> Question 1.21 i read about cdecl . i
    >>> am working with "turbo c" on a windows xp mechine. can any one
    >>> provide link where i can get the compatable cdecl.

    >> Read further in the FAQ, the information appears to remain valid.
    >> ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume14/cdecl2

    >It would be nice to see intelligent responses to questions in this group.
    >Perhaps someday.
    >
    >For instance, besides noting that the FAQ does not address his question,
    >the cited URL points to a shar file.
    >
    >I suppose the minor details of unpacking the file and making it usable
    >for OP's environment are off-topic.

    Hi Tim,

    I wrote a Windows GUI front-end for cdecl back in 2001. It was
    non-trivial to get the original source to compile, but I finally got
    it working. The brains of this app are not of my doing, but rather of
    the cdecl source code.

    If anyone is interested, you can download it here:

    http://www.smartcache.net/cdecl/WinCdecl.zip

    This is an MFC app that should run on any version of Windows 95 or
    later (even Windows Vista). Linux users should be able to run it under
    Wine.

    Comments, suggestions, and bug reports can be sent to
    .

    Best regards
    --
    jay
    jaysome, Jun 6, 2007
  12. jaysome <> writes:
    [...]
    > I wrote a Windows GUI front-end for cdecl back in 2001. It was
    > non-trivial to get the original source to compile, but I finally got
    > it working. The brains of this app are not of my doing, but rather of
    > the cdecl source code.
    >
    > If anyone is interested, you can download it here:
    >
    > http://www.smartcache.net/cdecl/WinCdecl.zip
    >
    > This is an MFC app that should run on any version of Windows 95 or
    > later (even Windows Vista). Linux users should be able to run it under
    > Wine.

    I just tried it. Unless I'm missing something, it implements the
    equivalent of "explain" but not "declare". In other words:

    % cdecl
    Type `help' or `?' for help
    cdecl> explain int *x
    declare x as pointer to int
    cdecl> declare y as pointer to char
    char *y
    cdecl>

    Your WinCdecl handles the first, but not the second.

    Keith Thompson, Jun 6, 2007
  13. shanti

    jaysome Guest

    On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 01:41:22 -0700, Keith Thompson <>
    wrote:

    >jaysome <> writes:
    >[...]
    >> I wrote a Windows GUI front-end for cdecl back in 2001. It was
    >> non-trivial to get the original source to compile, but I finally got
    >> it working. The brains of this app are not of my doing, but rather of
    >> the cdecl source code.
    >>
    >> If anyone is interested, you can download it here:
    >>
    >> http://www.smartcache.net/cdecl/WinCdecl.zip
    >>
    >> This is an MFC app that should run on any version of Windows 95 or
    >> later (even Windows Vista). Linux users should be able to run it under
    >> Wine.

    >I just tried it. Unless I'm missing something, it implements the
    >equivalent of "explain" but not "declare". In other words:
    >
    >% cdecl
    >Type `help' or `?' for help
    >cdecl> explain int *x
    >declare x as pointer to int
    >cdecl> declare y as pointer to char
    >char *y
    >cdecl>
    >
    >Your WinCdecl handles the first, but not the second.

    You're right. Somehow I uploaded an old version. I found a newer
    version that handles explain, declare and cast and uploaded it. I'll
    talk to smartcache and see if I can upload the source as well this
    weekend.

    jaysome, Jun 8, 2007