cdecl

shanti

hi,
I know that this may not be the question has to be raised in this
group. in comp.lang.c FAQ list · Question 1.21 i read about cdecl . i
am working with "turbo c" on a windows xp mechine. can any one
provide link where i can get the compatable cdecl. i tryed but i
could not found it in google search. please help me. thanks to the
group and members.
regards,
prasanth.

Tim Prince

shanti said:
Question 1.21 i read about cdecl . i
am working with "turbo c" on a windows xp mechine. can any one
provide link where i can get the compatable cdecl.
Read further in the FAQ, the information appears to remain valid.
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume14/cdecl2

Thomas Dickey

Tim Prince said:
shanti wrote:
Read further in the FAQ, the information appears to remain valid.
ftp://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/usenet/comp.sources.unix/volume14/cdecl2

It would be nice to see intelligent responses to questions in this group.
Perhaps someday.

For instance, besides noting that the FAQ does not address his question,
the cited URL points to a shar file.

I suppose the minor details of unpacking the file and making it usable
for OP's environment are off-topic.

Richard Tobin

Thomas Dickey said:
It would be nice to see intelligent responses to questions in this group.
Perhaps someday.
For instance, besides noting that the FAQ does not address his question,
the cited URL points to a shar file.
I suppose the minor details of unpacking the file and making it usable
for OP's environment are off-topic.

A quick Google suggests that this may be useful for unpacking:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/sharutils.htm

I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
so making it usable should not be a problem.

-- Richard

Thomas Dickey

Richard Tobin said:
I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
so making it usable should not be a problem.

X MANIFEST 1 This shipping list
X cdecl.1 1
X cdecl.c 2
X cdgram.y 1
X cdlex.l 1
X makefile 1
X testset 1
X testset++ 1

hmm - "non-standard" or unusual. Since it uses lex and yacc,
that makes it the former (only in this newsgroup of course).

offhand - this isn't the first (or even second) request for this
information in this newsgroup in the past month or so.
The faq doesn't provide the information requested...

Clever Monkey

Thomas said:
X MANIFEST 1 This shipping list
X cdecl.1 1
X cdecl.c 2
X cdgram.y 1
X cdlex.l 1
X makefile 1
X testset 1
X testset++ 1

hmm - "non-standard" or unusual. Since it uses lex and yacc,
that makes it the former (only in this newsgroup of course).

offhand - this isn't the first (or even second) request for this
information in this newsgroup in the past month or so.
The faq doesn't provide the information requested...
It took me 30 seconds with Google to find a cdecl, and another minute to
compile it on Unix.

Thomas Dickey

Clever Monkey said:
It took me 30 seconds with Google to find a cdecl, and another minute to
compile it on Unix.

yawn: if you _were_ a clever monkey, you'd have read OP's request.

Thomas Dickey

shanti said:
hi,
I know that this may not be the question has to be raised in this
group. in comp.lang.c FAQ list · Question 1.21 i read about cdecl . i
am working with "turbo c" on a windows xp mechine. can any one
provide link where i can get the compatable cdecl. i tryed but i
could not found it in google search. please help me. thanks to the
group and members.
regards,
prasanth.

actually cdecl's off-topic (mention of tools in the faq doesn't seem to
make things on-topic, accurate, or even guarantee that readers of this
newsgroup can provide useful information about them ;-).

Some people might choose to compile it (awkward if you don't have a source).
It's a useful learning exercise (but doesn't bear much on the "C" language).

Finding "cdecl" on Windows is complicated in a web-search since some
compiler headers contain a matching keyword. However, a web-search is
more reliable than asking in a newsgroup such as this.

Trying "cdecl.zip", which gives several likely hits, but it appears
they're for MS-DOS (likely to be a problem on anything newer than
the FAQ, which generally provides at best ten-year-old information).
But that's the easiest route.

I'd simply compile it if I had a use for it - requires lex and yacc.
"turbo c" should be able to build those - (flex 2.54a and yacc).

Thomas Dickey

Richard Tobin said:
I would be very surprised if cdecl used any non-standard C features,
so making it usable should not be a problem.

it uses getopt (nonstandard in this newsgroup ;-)

For OP that would be another problem, of course.

Richard Tobin

Thomas Dickey said:
it uses getopt (nonstandard in this newsgroup ;-)

For OP that would be another problem, of course.

Not really. Look more closely at the code:

#ifndef NOGETOPT
extern int optind;
#else
/* This is a miniature version of getopt() which will */
/* do just barely enough for us to get by below. */
/* Options are not allowed to be bunched up together. */
/* Option arguments are not supported. */
int optind = 1;
[...]

-- Richard

jaysome

It would be nice to see intelligent responses to questions in this group.
Perhaps someday.

For instance, besides noting that the FAQ does not address his question,
the cited URL points to a shar file.

I suppose the minor details of unpacking the file and making it usable
for OP's environment are off-topic.

Hi Tim,

I wrote a Windows GUI front-end for cdecl back in 2001. It was
non-trivial to get the original source to compile, but I finally got
it working. The brains of this app are not of my doing, but rather of
the cdecl source code.

If anyone is interested, you can download it here:

http://www.smartcache.net/cdecl/WinCdecl.zip

This is an MFC app that should run on any version of Windows 95 or
later (even Windows Vista). Linux users should be able to run it under
Wine.

Comments, suggestions, and bug reports can be sent to
(e-mail address removed).

Best regards

Keith Thompson

jaysome said:
I wrote a Windows GUI front-end for cdecl back in 2001. It was
non-trivial to get the original source to compile, but I finally got
it working. The brains of this app are not of my doing, but rather of
the cdecl source code.

If anyone is interested, you can download it here:

http://www.smartcache.net/cdecl/WinCdecl.zip

This is an MFC app that should run on any version of Windows 95 or
later (even Windows Vista). Linux users should be able to run it under
Wine.

I just tried it. Unless I'm missing something, it implements the
equivalent of "explain" but not "declare". In other words:

% cdecl
Type `help' or `?' for help
cdecl> explain int *x
declare x as pointer to int
cdecl> declare y as pointer to char
char *y
cdecl>

Your WinCdecl handles the first, but not the second.

jaysome

I just tried it. Unless I'm missing something, it implements the
equivalent of "explain" but not "declare". In other words:

% cdecl
Type `help' or `?' for help
cdecl> explain int *x
declare x as pointer to int
cdecl> declare y as pointer to char
char *y
cdecl>

Your WinCdecl handles the first, but not the second.

You're right. Somehow I uploaded an old version. I found a newer
version that handles explain, declare and cast and uploaded it. I'll
talk to smartcache and see if I can upload the source as well this
weekend.

http://www.smartcache.net/cdecl/WinCdecl.zip