    not sure. Any other ideas? I am at a loss right now on what to try next.

    Thank you,
    Tom
    Guest, Jul 10, 2003

    Wayne Guest

    As far as I know, Exchange uses the smtp service that comes with windows... so there is no version difference between Windows SMTP and EXchange SMTP..

    Here is a coding excerpt from MSDN that I always use to connect to A mailserver directly, in stead of going through the local smtp service.

    Dim iConf as new CDO.Configuration
    Dim Flds as ADODB.Field
    Set Flds = iConf.Fields

    ' The full field name strings are used below to illustrate this process.
    ' The CDO for Windows 2000 type library contains string Modules
    ' that provide these values as named constants.
    ' Use these module constants to avoid typos and so on.

    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "fakesmtp.microsoft.com"
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = cdoSendUsingPort ' CdoSendUsing enum value = 2
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpaccountname") = "My Name"
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendemailaddress") = """MySelf"" <>"
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpuserreplyemailaddress")= """Another"" <>"
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpauthenticate") = cdoBasic
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") = "domain\username"
    Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") = "password"
    Flds.Update

    Dim iMsg as new CDO.Message
    Set iMsg.Configuration = iConf

    ' ... compose message; add attachments, and so on.

    iMsg.Send ' Configuration settings in Config object are used to send the message.

    Wayne
    <Tom> wrote in message news:%...
    How can I force SmtpMail class to use CDO for Windows 2000 instead of
    Exchange 2000. We do not use Exchange at all. I want to do this because I
    am having a problem sending email from the web server. If I send part of
    the HTML email it will go through. If I send the whole HTML email then it
    gets stuck on our email server at corporate with the error:

    The message could not be sent to the SMTP server. The transport error code
    was 0x800ccc6c. The server response was 452 Filesystem error - message not
    accepted.

    Our email admin is stumped on why I cannot send the whole email. I think
    that it may be a problem with the version of CDO that .NET is using but I am

    Wayne, Jul 10, 2003

    dave wanta Guest

    Hi Tom,
    IIRC (but don't quote me on this), the 452 error comes from naked line
    feeds or naked carriage returns.

    The SMTP protocol requires all lines to end with \r\n ( or vbCrLf ),
    but some developers have the habbit of just doing \r or \n.

    hth,
    Dave
    www.aspNetEmail.com

    dave wanta, Jul 11, 2003