cdo mail getting stuck in queue

Stuart Palmer

Hi,
I am trying to get cdo.message working on my home development machine,
however, when I send it it appears to get stuck in the queue and never
actually gets sent.

If I don't have a domain SMTP set (either alias or remote) then I get an
error on page. But if I set these, the email just sits on the queue. I have
been trying to work it out from other posts and forums, aspFAQ etc but with
no joy.

Could someone supply a step by step guide to getting SMTP set up on a win2K
pro machine and how to get these mails out of my servers queue and into the
outside world so I can properly test code withing having to upload to my
hosts server and get the email back?

Many thx for any help.
Stu

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Whatever server you're trying to relay through is probably denying the
relay. I suggest you ask in an IIS group such as
microsoft.public.inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp.

Stuart Palmer

Could I see the code your using? Mostly to the configuration object.

Rocky,
Here you go.

--------------------
Set objSendMail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objSendMail.Subject = "CDO Test"
objSendMail.From = "Stu Test<[email protected]>"
objSendMail.To = (e-mail address removed)
objSendMail.TextBody = "CDO Test"
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Item
("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2
'Name or IP of remote SMTP server
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Item
("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "127.0.0.1"
'Server port1
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Item
("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Update
objSendMail.Send
--------------

The mail gets created and then just sits in the queue and does not a lot
more.

Thx for your help.

Stu

Jeff Cochran

Rocky,
Here you go.

--------------------
Set objSendMail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objSendMail.Subject = "CDO Test"
objSendMail.From = "Stu Test<[email protected]>"
objSendMail.To = (e-mail address removed)
objSendMail.TextBody = "CDO Test"
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Item
("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing") = 2
'Name or IP of remote SMTP server
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Item
("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver") = "127.0.0.1"
'Server port1
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Item
("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 25
objSendMail.Configuration.Fields.Update
objSendMail.Send

First thing is that the SendUsing parameter should be "1" for the
local server, which you're using if you really are using the IP
address 127.0.0.1. If you're using a real IP not on the system and
just put 127.0.0.1 to show us you're sending to an IP, it would be a
"2".

Check the SMTP server logs as well. I don't remember off hand if CDO
code has the issue, but putting the IP address in brackets is required
for many SMTP settings. Also, make sure the system can resolve the MX
record of "MyDomain.com" correctly, that's the most common reason
email sits in the queue.

Jeff

Stuart Palmer

Also, make sure the system can resolve the MX
record of "MyDomain.com" correctly, that's the most common reason
email sits in the queue.

How do I do this? I read something about a smart host in one setting but
don't knwo wat value to put in this.

Thx
Stu