CDO mass email

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by cameron, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. cameron

    cameron Guest

    I have a test and production environment. The code works fine on test
    but behaves erractically in production. The script needs to email people
    who are subscribed to a particular service. On test it is a small list
    but the list on production is fairly large. Does the CDO object have a
    maximum number of people that can be BCCed? I also have email addresses
    with hyphens in them, are there special characters, (other than @), that
    have to be respected? I have seen some other posting with people having
    issues with the CDO object and one of the suggestions is to:

    # Try using a SendUsing value of 1 (pickup) instead of 2 (port). E.g.
    the following line:

    cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "sendusing") = 2

    Becomes

    cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "sendusing") = 1

    What is the difference between these two? The webserver is juts using
    the default SMTP server, is it going to work with a setting of
    cdoConfig.Fields.Item(sch & "sendusing") = 1? Where are they picking it
    up from?

    Thanks.

    -Cam

    cameron, Aug 5, 2003

  2. > but the list on production is fairly large. Does the CDO object have a
    > maximum number of people that can be BCCed?

    You're using the wrong tool.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2291

    > # Try using a SendUsing value of 1 (pickup) instead of 2 (port). E.g.
    > the following line:
    >
    > What is the difference between these two?

    Pickup means the e-mail gets dropped into a local folder, and the local SMTP
    service "picks it up"...

    Port means you can specify any SMTP server in the world, and the engine will
    actually send the e-mail on to that SMTP server.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Parker Zhang [MSFT], Aug 7, 2003