    Server with Exchange 5.5.

    Thanks,
    Drew Laing

    Drew, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Drew

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:56:29 -0500, "Drew"
    <> wrote:

    >I am trying to configure CDO at my facility and wonder if I should use it
    >through IIS or our Exchange server?

    Which works better for you?

    >Can anyone point me in the right
    >direction?

    Not really. Both work. Does it make sense for you to use the local
    SMTP server or an Exchange server?

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 11, 2005

  3. > I am trying to configure CDO at my facility and wonder if I should use it
    > through IIS or our Exchange server?

    Well, what does "should" mean? That's not a joke; what are your decision
    criteria?

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Mar 11, 2005
  4. Drew

    Drew Guest

    Bottomline from my perspective is WHATEVER WORKS! But I am just the
    programmer here, and cannot do any other modifications, so I need to let my
    admin know which I would like to do. Is there any performance gain/loss?

    Thanks,
    Drew Laing

    Drew, Mar 14, 2005
  5. Drew

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:16:58 -0500, "Drew"
    <> wrote:

    >Bottomline from my perspective is WHATEVER WORKS! But I am just the
    >programmer here, and cannot do any other modifications, so I need to let my
    >admin know which I would like to do. Is there any performance gain/loss?

    Not really. The main change is a difference in control and physical
    connections. If you lost connectivity to the Exchange server, a local
    SMTP service could still send mail. But if you want to control email
    through a single point for management, anti-virus, logging,
    troubleshooting, portability, etc. then you would want only one email
    server in the enterprise.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Mar 14, 2005