CDONT to CDO

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Harvey Waxman, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Can someone show me how to modify this simple code from CDONTS to CDO to bring
    it up to date?

    It works fine now and maybe I should leave it alone?

    <%
    Dim t1,instructions
    t1 = "Instructions"
    instructions = Request.Form("instructions")
    Dim ObjMail
    Set ObjMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    ObjMail.To = ""
    ObjMail.From = ""
    ObjMail.Subject = "Dinghy Dogs order"
    ObjMail.Body = t1 & vbtab & instructions
    ObjMail.Send
    Set ObjMail = Nothing
    Response.Write"Thank You For Your Order"
    %>

    --
    Harvey Waxman DMD
    73 Wright Lane
    Harvey Waxman, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Harvey Waxman

    Ray at Guest

    For the way to do it with the fewest changes:

    Set ObjMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    becomes
    Set ObjMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")

    ObjMail.Body = t1 & vbtab & instructions
    becomes
    ObjMail.TextBody = t1 & vbtab & instructions

    See http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 for more detailed informaton on
    CDO. And good job switching! :]

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Feb 28, 2004

  3. In article <ONSXl6a$>,
    "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote:

    > See http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026 for more detailed informaton on
    > CDO. And good job switching! :]

    Thanks for the references. They are way to detailed for my modest requirements
    though, getting too far under the hood for my needs. They assume in know much
    more than I do. I need more of what you showed me and couldn't find anything
    that basic.

    Thanks.

    --
    Harvey Waxman DMD
    73 Wright Lane
    Harvey Waxman, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Harvey Waxman

    Ray at Guest

    You don't have to read the whole article if you aren't interested in sending
    attachments or anything.

    Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

    With cdoMessage
    Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
    .From = ""
    .To = ""
    .Subject = "Sample CDO Message"
    .TextBody = "This is a test for CDO.message"
    .Send
    End With

    Set cdoMessage = Nothing

    That's as undetailed as it'll be. If you don't know as much as "they"
    assume you do, then you have to work to know more!

    Ray at, Feb 28, 2004
  5. In article <#f3t2mi$>,
    "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote:

    > That's as undetailed as it'll be. If you don't know as much as "they"
    > assume you do, then you have to work to know more!

    Once again, thanks.

    I have nothing to do with the server folks. I have a modest website and wanted
    to have email forwarded to me without using mailto:

    I was told that asp was what I needed and since the server that hosts my site
    is a Windows NT (I use Macs) I found a CDONTS asp script that I modified for my
    own use.

    That's as far as my needs go or will go. I'm even unsure what the 'undetailed'
    script in your last post was for.

    Regards

    Harvey

    --
    Harvey Products makers of Dinghy Dogs
    The Boater's Best Friend
    Harvey Waxman, Feb 28, 2004
  6. Harvey Waxman

    Steven Burn Guest

    > I'm even unsure what the 'undetailed' script in your last post was for.

    It was the minimal code you needs for a CDO mail script (to replace your
    CDONTS one)

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Feb 28, 2004
  7. Harvey Waxman

    Ray at Guest

    If you're on NT, you cannot use CDO. CDO first appeared in Windows 2000.
    It's unlikely/unhopeful that you're still on an NT 4 server though. Find
    out for sure. If NT, use CDONTS. If 2000 or higher, use CDO.

    Ray at, Feb 28, 2004
  8. In article <eC97clj$>,
    "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote:

    > If 2000 or higher, use CDO.

    It is Windows 2000. I would still like to see a list of the statements in
    CDONTS and their CDO counterparts, if there is such a list.

    I am passing the data from a form to the email so it's more than simple text
    email. I posted the abbreviated code last time. and there were only two
    changes if I recall.

    Harvey Waxman, Feb 28, 2004
  9. Harvey Waxman

    Guest