CDONTS and Japanese Characters

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Dooza, Nov 12, 2008.

  1. Dooza

    Dooza Guest

    Hi there,
    I have a funny problem that I need some advice on.

    I have a UK colo server, with UK regional settings. We have several
    forms setup (ASP/VBScript) that are request more information type forms.

    We have recently setup an office in Asia, and have created a website for
    them on our UK based server. They too want a request more information
    form. What do I need to do to enable Japanese characters to be sent
    through an form to an ASP page that uses CDONTS to sent emails?

    So far I have set on the form page and the sending page:

    When I use <% @CODEPAGE=932%> at the top of the sending page the output
    is even worse, I get stuff like this where the data should be:
    ?????item_field[company]=??????item_field[address]=?????

    What is worse is that the recipient is going to be accessing the emails
    from a OWA server in the UK, but they do have a Hotmail account that
    they have access to.

    Any advice is welcome.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Dooza, Nov 12, 2008

  2. Dooza

    Dooza Guest

    Dooza wrote:
    > Hi there,
    > I have a funny problem that I need some advice on.
    >
    > I have a UK colo server, with UK regional settings. We have several
    > forms setup (ASP/VBScript) that are request more information type forms.
    >
    > We have recently setup an office in Asia, and have created a website for
    > them on our UK based server. They too want a request more information
    > form. What do I need to do to enable Japanese characters to be sent
    > through an form to an ASP page that uses CDONTS to sent emails?
    >
    > So far I have set on the form page and the sending page:

    > When I use <% @CODEPAGE=932%> at the top of the sending page the output
    > is even worse, I get stuff like this where the data should be:
    > ?????item_field[company]=??????item_field[address]=?????
    >
    > What is worse is that the recipient is going to be accessing the emails
    > from a OWA server in the UK, but they do have a Hotmail account that
    > they have access to.
    >
    > Any advice is welcome.

    I have it working now, I didn't use the codepage part, I just added this
    to the sending part:

    MailObj.BodyPart.CharSet = "shift_jis"

    OWA was happy showing the Japanese characters too!

    Steve

    Dooza, Nov 12, 2008