CDONTS - Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Seeker, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. Seeker

    Seeker Guest

    Hi!

    I have to do some developing and I'm trying to configure my server to mimic
    the operation of our production server. The issue I'm having is that I'm
    trying to use CDONTS to send an email under IIS on a Windows 2003 Server.
    The server does not have the SMTP service running, but I do have a third
    party SMTP/POP/IMAP server running.

    I have copied the CDONTS.DLL file and registered it. In the Web Serice
    Extensions I have enabled the CDONTS.DLL file.

    The object appears to be created properly, but I get an error when the SEND
    method executes. (Error and Code shown below)

    Obviously I'm missing something else here... Can anyone lend a hand?

    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'

    Permission denied

    /shaw/tsrnet/Common_Modules/Mail.asp, line 84

    '... some code ...
    Set objMail = server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    objMail.BodyFormat = 0
    objMail.MailFormat = 0
    objMail.From = ""
    objMail.To = ""
    objMail.Subject = "Subject Here"
    objMail.Body = "Message Body Here"
    objMail.Send ' **** ERROR HERE ***
    Set objMail = nothing
    '... some more code ...

    Seeker, Mar 2, 2004

  2. Seeker

    Ray at Guest

    Be sure that IUSR_[server name] has NTFS permissions to write files to
    \inetpub\mailroot\pickup.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Seeker

    Seeker Guest

    Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
    (didn't expect it to).

    I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of the
    IIS SMTP server.

    From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get CDONTS
    to work under Win2K3...

    Any other help would be appreaciated.

    message news:%...

    Seeker, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Seeker

    Ray at Guest

    "Seeker" <> wrote in message
    > Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
    > (didn't expect it to).

    That's different. Is SMTP installed?

    > I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of the
    > IIS SMTP server.

    Not if you're using CDONTS, as that doesn't support external SMTP servers.

    > From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get

    CDONTS
    > to work under Win2K3...

    Oh, you're using Win2K3, eh? CDONTS doesn't exist in 2003. Use CDO.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Seeker

    Seeker Guest

    message news:...

    > "Seeker" <> wrote in message
    > > Hrm... that folder doesn't exist. Tried adding it but it didnt't work
    > > (didn't expect it to).
    > >

    > That's different. Is SMTP installed?
    >

    > > I'm thinking that my problem is the third party SMTP server instead of

    the
    > > IIS SMTP server.

    > Not if you're using CDONTS, as that doesn't support external SMTP servers.
    >

    > > From what I've seen on Google, I've done everything necessary to get

    > CDONTS
    > > to work under Win2K3...

    > Oh, you're using Win2K3, eh? CDONTS doesn't exist in 2003. Use CDO.
    >
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

    I don't have a choice... the server I'm coding for uses CDONTS.

    I did install CDONTS and register it.

    Lack of the MS SMTP server is what's killing me I think. I've got a work
    around so it isn't urgent.

    Thanks for the help!

    Seeker, Mar 4, 2004
  6. Seeker

    Ray at Guest

    Who made that decision to install and use CDONTS? The person should be
    fired. ;] If SMTP isn't installed on the server, I do not believe that
    CDONTS will work. I mean, you could create a \inetpub\mailroot\pickup
    folder and have CDONTS do its thing, but the messages won't go anywhere.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Mar 4, 2004
  7. Hi,
    If IIS SMTP SERVER is not sending your messages you can try this too:
    go to properties of your smtp server/delivering/advanced/intelligent host
    So you can put the address of other smtp server on your net or even out your
    net.
    Try it too!
    bye,
    --

    Sem mais,

    Vlmar Brazão de Oliveira
    Desenvolvimento Web
    HI-TEC
    "Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP]" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> escreveu na
    mensagem news:...

    Vilmar Brazão de Oliveira, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Hi,
    If IIS SMTP SERVER is not sending your messages you can try this too:
    go to properties of your smtp server/delivering/advanced/intelligent host
    So you can put the address of other smtp server on your net or even out your
    net.
    Try it too!
    bye,
    --

    Sem mais,

    Vlmar Brazão de Oliveira
    Desenvolvimento Web
    HI-TEC
    "Seeker" <> escreveu na mensagem

    Vilmar Brazão de Oliveira, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Seeker

    Roland Hall Guest

    :
[...]

    See if you have covered everything:
    http://www.genesis-hosting.com/?pagename=cdontshowto

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */

    Roland Hall, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Seeker

    Seeker Guest

    message news:...
    > Who made that decision to install and use CDONTS? The person should be
    > fired. ;]

    Well, the production server is running NT I believe. It's my OWN development
    server that's running Win2K3, so I'm trying to add the CDONTS functionality
    to my own server.

    > If SMTP isn't installed on the server, I do not believe that
    > CDONTS will work. I mean, you could create a \inetpub\mailroot\pickup
    > folder and have CDONTS do its thing, but the messages won't go anywhere.

    Thanks! Thats what I figured.

    Seeker, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Seeker

    Seeker Guest

    > "Seeker" wrote in message news:9391c.650856$JQ1.59561@pd7tw1no...
    > : I have to do some developing and I'm trying to configure my server to
    > mimic
    > : the operation of our production server. The issue I'm having is that I'm
    > : trying to use CDONTS to send an email under IIS on a Windows 2003

    Server.
    > : The server does not have the SMTP service running, but I do have a third
    > : party SMTP/POP/IMAP server running.

    > See if you have covered everything:
    > http://www.genesis-hosting.com/?pagename=cdontshowto

    Very helpful stuff... Thank you muchly!!!

    Seeker, Mar 4, 2004