CDONTS not working on W2000 Server

tshad

I am trying to run a test sending mail using CDONTS on my W2K3
machine.

It works fine running from my WXP Pro, but I don't recieve the mail if
run the W2K3 machine.

Both machines have IIS configured essentially the same.

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%>
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
charset=iso-8859-1">
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>

<%
response.write("Before Request.ServerVariables variable = " &
Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR") & "<br>")

response.write("after Request.ServerVariables variable = " &
Request.ServerVariables("LOCAL_ADDR") & "<br>")

Dim iMsg
Dim iConf
Dim Flds
Dim strHTML

Const cdoSendUsingPickup = 1

set iMsg = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
set iConf = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

Set Flds = iConf.Fields
With Flds
.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusing")
= cdoSendUsingPickup
' TODO: Replace <PICKUP DIRECTORY> with path to your
pickup directory
' Typically, c:\Inetpub\mailroot\pickup
.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverpickupdirectory")="C:\Inetpub\mailroot\pickup"
.Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserver")="smtp.interez.com"
.Update
End With

Dim iBP
With iMsg
Set .Configuration = iConf
.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
.Subject = "A test page"
.HTMLBody = "This is a test page"
'TODO: if adding an attachment,
'uncomment the next line and alter file path as required
'Set iBP = iMsg.AddAttachment(App.Path & "\file1.txt")
.Send
End With

' Clean up variables.
Set iBP = Nothing
Set iMsg = Nothing
Set iConf = Nothing
Set Flds = Nothing

%>
Is there something in Exchange that might be giving me a problem.

Exchange is not running on either machine.

Thanks,

Tom.

Jeff Cochran

I am trying to run a test sending mail using CDONTS on my W2K3
machine.

It works fine running from my WXP Pro, but I don't recieve the mail if
run the W2K3 machine.

CDONTS doesn't exist on Server 2003, switch to CDO.Message. See:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

But of course your code below already uses CDO so that may not be your
issue. Post error messages, check the queues, make sure that
smtp.interez.com is available to your system, etc.

Jeff

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

make sure that smtp.interez.com is available to your system,

Since he specified cdoSendUsingPickup, I don't think this setting even comes
into play. An external SMTP server wouldn't be able to grab mail from his
local pickup folder anyway...

tshad

Aaron said:
Have you tried different domains (e.g. change the from and to to a hotmail
account)?
http://www.aspfaq.com/2511

Did you check in the badmail, queue, pickup folders, etc?
http://www.aspfaq.com/2254
http://www.aspfaq.com/2268

Since you have an SMTP server listed in the configuration properties, did
you try using cdoSendUsingPort instead cdoSendUsingPickup?

Haven't tried these yet. Not sure what they do - will look at the faqs you
quoted.

I assumed it was working correctly, since XP didn't have a problem.

Thanks,

Tom.

tshad

Jeff Cochran said:
CDONTS doesn't exist on Server 2003, switch to CDO.Message. See:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

But of course your code below already uses CDO so that may not be your
issue. Post error messages, check the queues, make sure that
smtp.interez.com is available to your system, etc.

I actually copied CDONTS to my server anyway from a 2000 server, just to see
if that was the problem - it wasn't.

However, you raise a good point - and I assumed (bad word) that if I was
setting the smtpserver in the program it should work fine. Do I need to
define the SMTP server (which is exchange and on another server) in my W2K3
somewhere? Even though it seems to have SMTP set up in the services - do I
need to point it to the Exchange server and will I have a relay problem in
this configuration?

Thanks,

Tom.

Jeff Cochran

Since he specified cdoSendUsingPickup, I don't think this setting even comes
into play. An external SMTP server wouldn't be able to grab mail from his
local pickup folder anyway...

Missed that. Then he needs to have an SMTP server running, and he
said he didn't have Exchange on the systems.

Perhaps the OP could test with a generic CDO script using a remote
server.

Jeff

tshad

Jeff Cochran said:
Dumb question: Do you have the Server 2003 firewall on? Blocking
port 25? And you can test your 2003 SMTP server outside of this to
make sure it's working, see:

I don't know?

Where would I check this?

I also found that I can't get access to our Exchange server - we have it
behind a checkpoint firewall.

This machine is only running our Web Server (it is the Web Server Edition).

Do I need to use our Exchange server?

This machine does have SMTP on it and it is running automatically. We are
only going to send outgoing messages. Can we just use SMTP on this machine?
Do we have to configure it somewhere?

Thanks,

Tom.

tshad

Jeff Cochran said:
Missed that. Then he needs to have an SMTP server running, and he
said he didn't have Exchange on the systems.

I just replied to that questions (just found out that I can't access the
Exchange server here). We apparently do have SMTP running on the server,
but don't know if I need to configure it specifically.

Tom.

tshad

Jeff Cochran said:
Dumb question: Do you have the Server 2003 firewall on? Blocking
port 25? And you can test your 2003 SMTP server outside of this to
make sure it's working, see:

HOW TO: Test SMTP Services Manually in Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323350

I did try this, as you suggested.

I was a little confused on this. When it says open <machinename> 25, I
assume it means the server I am on.

Then it says "mail from:[email protected]". I put in my address, which it
took.

Then it says "rcpt to:[email protected]". I got the error "550 5.7.1
Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)" or "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
(e-mail address removed)". ftsolutions.com is our domain and deltanet.com is the
domain at my house.

Why am I getting this?

I originally wanted to send the message to my address: (e-mail address removed) - why am
I getting the error? The exchange server is on another machine - which this
machine can't see.

Also, how do you delete characters in Telnet. If I make a mistake, I use
backspace to delete the characters and it moves back to allow me to retype,
but then I always get an error. When I retype it, it works fine.

Thanks,

Tom.

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

Your SMTP server has restrictions to prevent just anyone from using it as a
relay. So, set the @from address to an address that is allowed. If you
don't know how to check these things, check with the person who is
responsible for maintaining your SMTP server... (e.g. the Exchange guy)

Jeff Cochran

I don't know?

Where would I check this?

The firewall is in the Network Connection Properties, Advanced tab.
I also found that I can't get access to our Exchange server - we have it
behind a checkpoint firewall.

This machine is only running our Web Server (it is the Web Server Edition).

Do I need to use our Exchange server?
No.

This machine does have SMTP on it and it is running automatically. We are
only going to send outgoing messages. Can we just use SMTP on this machine?
Yes.

Do we have to configure it somewhere?
Yes.

Tom.

Did you do this:

Also, there is an SMTP group to help with this, it's outside ASP if
the above test won't work.

Jeff