    objCDONTS=Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail") and then manipulating its
    properties.

    Do I need to somehow set IIS5 to make objCDONTS.Send work?

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    objCDONTS.Send is completely
    >ignored.
    >
    >I think is it ignored because it throws no errors,

    neither does the rest of
    >the code setting
    >objCDONTS=Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail") and then

    manipulating its
    >properties.
    >
    >Do I need to somehow set IIS5 to make objCDONTS.Send

    work?

    >.

    If on Win 2000 use cdo. See this
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

    HTH
    Mike

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Ray at Guest

    What makes you think it's being ignored? If it's because you didn't receive
    an e-mail, look into issues with SMTP. All that CDONTS does is generate a
    text file in e-mail format and put it in the SMTP server's pickup directory.
    From that point on, it's up to SMTP to send the e-mail.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Thanks, I'll try.
    But one thing puzzles me - in one plase your resouce says CDONTS is
    depricated and not shipped with Windows, whereas in another place is said
    that it is suppoerted by w2000 and is included in OS

    As it does not cause error, I suppose it is included in 2000

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Up through Win2k it was included. It's now gone from the OS.

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    What makes you think it's being ignored? - my ignorance.
    Also last time I used that object on my ISP in October, it worked fine.
    But I cannot remember if I tried if on my local PC.

    Obviously SMTP is beyond the scope of this NG, yet perhaps you can advise
    where I can read about it? Is it part of IIS5?

    Also what do you think about Mikes opinion regarding CDONTS/CDO ?

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    So the problem should be with SMTP, as Ray suggested

    Also it means that on a local PC is is not supposed to work without SMTP
    tuning, unless it gets installed and tuned by default during installation
    of w2k Pro -does it?

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Ray at Guest

    <aa> wrote in message news:OHP$...
    > What makes you think it's being ignored? - my ignorance.
    > Also last time I used that object on my ISP in October, it worked fine.
    > But I cannot remember if I tried if on my local PC.
    >
    > Obviously SMTP is beyond the scope of this NG, yet perhaps you can advise
    > where I can read about it? Is it part of IIS5?

    Yes, it's part of IIS. There is an SMTP MS newsgroup. Search "smtp" in
    your news group list. I forget exactly what it's called.
    ..inetserver.iis.smtp_nntp maybe. Also, www.iisfaq.com may have info.

    > Also what do you think about Mikes opinion regarding CDONTS/CDO ?

    I agree with him. The only reason to use CDONTS over CDO is if you are
    stuck on an NT server and cannot change that. If you're all W2K or higher,
    I suggest switching to CDO.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 7, 2004

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    CDONTS is not the same thing as SMTP
    CDONTS is an interface TO the SMTP service.
    Look in your c:\inetpub\mailroot folder tree for the message(s) you wrote.
    If they are in there then CDONTS did it's part and SMTP isn't confiugred
    right.

    Curt_C [MVP], Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    It might be relevant - I've just discovered that the FileSystemObject on the
    same w2k ISP server behaves the same way as CDONTS - produces no error and
    no result as if it is ignored.
    It is supposed to create a file on the server, and although the code runs
    without producing error messages, no file is created. It obviously worked
    earlier and I still have several files streated previously.

    Is FileSystemObject, like CDONTS, also dependent on some other service
    which might be disabled?

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Ray at Guest

    Can you show your code that is not returning an error and also not doing
    what you expect it to do? There is something else going on here.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 7, 2004

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    You don't have an ON ERROR RESUME NEXT do you?

    Curt_C [MVP], Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    I have it indeed, but next to it goes

    If err.number <> 0 then
    Response.write("Errors occurred while saving your form
    submission.")
    Else
    Response.write "The Order has been saved to " & fPath &". <a
    href=/data/orders/" & fName &
    End If

    So I understand that I should have "Errors occurred while saving your form
    submission."
    But I do have "The Order has been saved to" which means that err.number <>
    0
    Yet no file was created

    But I was wrong in my previous message blaming FileSystemObject.
    The file in question is supposed to be created by Microsoft.XMLDOM object
    and
    "ON ERROR RESUME NEXT" goes after
    Set objDom = Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
    some manipulations to form a file name and the path to place it into
    objDom.Save (path and file name)

    I stress, that it worked previously on ISP w2000 server and still works on
    my local w2000

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Ray,

    I left come idea od what I am doing in my reply to Curt's question.
    The whole code is quite long and seat in several .inc files therefore to
    copy it here is not streightforward and probably will require time for you
    to get its logic.
    Is that sufficient for you to guess where should I be looking for an error
    and I copy here relevant bit.

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Ray at Guest

    I stress that you really need to take out your On Error Resume Next
    statement (or move it around to different locations as needed) whenever
    you're trying to debug something.

    Ray at work

    <aa> wrote in message news:uo%...
    > I have it indeed, but next to it goes
    >
    > If err.number <> 0 then
    > Response.write("Errors occurred while saving your form
    > submission.")
    > Else
    > Response.write "The Order has been saved to " & fPath &". <a
    > href=/data/orders/" & fName &
    > End If
    >
    > So I understand that I should have "Errors occurred while saving your form
    > submission."
    > But I do have "The Order has been saved to" which means that err.number

    <>

    Ray at, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    I did and it made no difference

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Ray at Guest

    In order to help with this issue, you'd have to do some of your own testing
    and debugging first. You said that you lots of lines of code in this page.
    Chances are that 99% of it is irrelevant to your problem here. What steps
    have you taken to debug this? Have you thrown together a simple four line
    asp page that creates this object and executes the save method with some
    test data? You need to be able to mentally extract where the problem is and
    work with that all on its own. If you have an asp page that collects form
    values, does some arithmetic operations on them, inserts the results into a
    database, e-mails the results to a recipient, generates a log file with the
    FSO, executes a shell command, and generates a pdf and the file is not being
    created by the FSO (or whatever you're using), what you'd want to do is
    totally disregard all the other steps and just create a nice simple page
    that runs the same FSO commands with manually entered text. I don't know
    that I'm explaining this well, but it's hard to explain the steps to take to
    debug something. YOu just have to sit back and think about it for a bit and
    narrow down where the issue may be occurring and what the possible causes
    are. You won't be able to do this if you look at 1000 lines of code and
    think of it as just one step.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jan 7, 2004
  18. <aa> wrote:

    > I did and it made no difference

    Let me interject a comment here -- we have a server that exhibits this
    behavior in *some* folders, but not others. A quick fix can be simply
    creating a new folder and moving the script there. We have never devoted
    much effort to determining the cause, however, as it gave us reason to move
    to CDO.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    This makes sense, David.

    I can change directories at my will as for security reasons my ISP created
    only one directory with the writing permissions. So I have to stick to it.
    As I mentioned, it worked OK 2 month ago.
    It is possible, that the server changes its behavour in *some* folder?
    Are you also saying that CDO does not cause similar problems.

    "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > <aa> wrote:
    > >
    > > I did and it made no difference

    > Let me interject a comment here -- we have a server that exhibits this
    > behavior in *some* folders, but not others. A quick fix can be simply
    > creating a new folder and moving the script there. We have never devoted
    > much effort to determining the cause, however, as it gave us reason to

    move
    > to CDO.
    >

    > --
    > Dave Anderson

    Use
    > of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not

    contact

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004

    Guest Guest

    Thanks, Ray.
    The approach you are describing in that many words is well known as "Problem
    Isolation" and of course, I have tried it while waiting comments from
    colleagues in here.
    CDONTS usage is well documented. I cut and pasted an example and run it
    alone without any databases you mention - same result. Same about
    Microsoft.XMLDOM
    I do not think I need to post these examples for discussions in here, don't
    I?

    Guest, Jan 7, 2004