CDONTS SMTP Problem

Robert Suffecool

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems getting the virtual SMTP server (in IIS) from
sending an email message that was created from an ASP script. The messages
are stored in the \Inetspb\mailroot\Queue directory but the computer isn't
sending these messages to the Internet. Does anyone know why and how I can
fix this problem?

Sincerely,

Robert

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Robert Suffecool said:
Hello everyone,

I'm having problems getting the virtual SMTP server (in IIS) from
sending an email message that was created from an ASP script. The messages
are stored in the \Inetspb\mailroot\Queue directory but the computer isn't
sending these messages to the Internet. Does anyone know why and how I can
fix this problem?

That could mean that your SMTP server is not correctly configured, for
instance, DNS server must be available. Look inside the event log to see any
error about this.

To be sure, that CDONTS is not the reason for this error (better use CDO),
copy an .EML message from outlook express in the drop directory.

Foo Man Chew

To be sure, that CDONTS is not the reason for this error (better use CDO),
copy an .EML message from outlook express in the drop directory.

Do you mean pickup? According to Knowledge Base article # 250040:

a.. Drop
Receives all incoming messages for all of the domains hosted on the
computer. You can assign any directory to be the Drop directory, except one
that has already been designated as the Pickup directory.
a.. Pickup
Processes outgoing messages that are created as text files and copied to the
directory. When properly formatted Request for Comments (RFC) 822 messages
are copied into the Pickup directory, the SMTP Service initiates delivery.

Robert Suffecool

Hi Egbert,

Thanks for suggesting that... I looked in the event log while waiting
for a response to my orginial question and discovered that my DNS server
wasn't binding (whatever that means). I changed the DNS settings for the
NIC and rebooted the server. Now, everything works great!

Sincerely,

Robert

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Foo Man Chew said:
Do you mean pickup? According to Knowledge Base article # 250040:
Yes, right. Thanks

He seems to have solved his problem already :)