CDONTS & Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS

Sin Precedente

I have a win2k server with multiple domains on it many of which have a
generic contact us page with a form that when submitted calls an .asp
page that utilizes CDONTS. These pages have worked extremely well in
the past until a couple days ago when all of a sudden every time that
page is called i'm getting event 4000 in source smtpsvc Message
delivery to the remote domain 'mydomain.com' failed for the following
reason: Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS.

The mail just gets dropped into the queue and eventually into
badmail. I've found lots of other people on the web who have
encounter similar problems but have found no solution yet. I've
restarted SMTP, restarted DNS client, restarted the server,
everything, played with settings and still am getting this error.
Which is bizarre because it was working great until out of nowhere it
fails for an unknown reason.

Any advice or opinions on what I could try to fix this would be much
appreciated.

Anthony Jones

Sin Precedente said:
[...]

Logon to the server having the problem
Run... nslookup
set querytype=MX
mydomain.com

You should get the host name and the IP of the server that handles this mail
domain.
If you don't get anything or what you get is not correct then that wiil be
the problem.

Sin Precedente

Ok thanks for the reply, i've done that and i've got a host name and
IP of the server that handles this mail, but what do I do with this
info as I still don't have a solution? Is the problem then with that
host name?

Anthony Jones

Sin Precedente said:
Ok thanks for the reply, i've done that and i've got a host name and
IP of the server that handles this mail, but what do I do with this
info as I still don't have a solution? Is the problem then with that
host name?

The purpose of the exercise was to check that the server was able to resolve
the mail domain name to an IP address of a host server. Another objective
was for you to take a look at the resolved info and confirm that it is
resolving the correct server.

Sin Precedente

Ok, it does resolve, and it is resolving the correct server, the same
server it resolved in the past when all the forms were working. Any
other ideas?