CDONTS

Mac Davis

Ive just learned that CDONTS is not available of Server 2003.
So, I've been trying to make sense out of what I can read.
I have succeeded in completely confusing myself.

In one place Microsoft suggests that I can install CDONTS from Server 2000
but it doesn't suggest where I get CDONTS.
Other reading suggests that CDOSYS is a much better solution. Although it
is never explicitly stated, it is implied (or at least I infer) that CDOSYS
is installed with Server 2003.

At activeserver.com, I found a sample script using CDOSYS.
In the script, the following works just fine

Set objMail = Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message")
objMail.From = sFrom
objMail.To = sTo
objMail.Subject= sSubject
objMail.TextBody = sTextBody
objMail.HTMLBody = sHTMLBody

which leads me to believe that the CDO object is being created properly.

However, when I say
objMail.send

The page fails with a "there is a problem with this page and it cannot be
displayed" message.

My questions are
1. How do I know that CDOSYS is properly installed.
2. If CDOSYS isn't installed, how do I install it?
3. If CDOSYS is installed, then what else could be the problem?

Thanks folks,

-dmd-
If the obvious weren't so obscure, I'd be less confused.

Jeff Cochran

[...]

It installs with Server2003/IIS6
2. If CDOSYS isn't installed, how do I install it?

See #1.
3. If CDOSYS is installed, then what else could be the problem?

Your error isn't necessarily due to CDO.SYS not working. Do you
receive an email when you send one? Try this script:

http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2026

Keep in mind you need a SMTP server you can use, that allows you to
send through it. The SendUsing parameter in that script is set to 2
to send using the port, and the SMTP server is specified n the
SMTPServer parameter.

Jeff

Mac Davis

Thanks gentlemen. I now have it working.

However, I haven't a clue what is happening.

Most specifically, this segment of code mystifies me.

sch = "http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/"

Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")

With cdoConfig.Fields
.Item(sch & "sendusing") = 2 ' cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(sch & "smtpserver") = "<enter_mail.server_here>"
.update
End With

Could you explain what the lines beginning with .Item are doing. I am at a
loss as to why a URL would be included here. It seems that a couple of
constants would fill the bill.
Does this in some way indicate that each time I try to send mail, I have to
connect to a Microsoft server? That makes no sense.

I note that I can include the metadata statement in lieu of the URL but I'll
be darned it I understand the URL.

Thanks,

Mac