    Anyone know the proper security thing to do here?

    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Y., Sep 3, 2003

  2. Steve Y.

    Marcus Guest

    Hi Steve,

    Did you manage to get a resolution to this? I'm having exactly the
    same problem and it's driving me mad. The application works in VB.NET
    (Windows App) but refuses to work in ASP.NET. It must be some sort of
    permissions issue but I've researched this all day and drawn a blank.

    Any help appreciated!!

    Marcus.

    Marcus, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Steve Y.

    Steve Y. Guest

    No. I am hoping Microsoft support might drop a few tidbits
    of information and help out. What really bothers me is
    that I can get all this stuff to work easily in asp
    classic but asp.net is not very clear on what it needs
    permissions to! Yes, it is a permissions error the
    question is how to solve it without making the aspnet
    account an administrator.

    Steve Y., Sep 5, 2003
  4. Steve Y.

    Marcus Wade Guest

    Marcus Wade, Sep 5, 2003
  5. I don't think that article is related. I am using the built in
    System.Web.Mail stuff which accesses CDOSYS.dll behind the scenes. I
    know for sure the System.Web.Mail works on an IIS box but it is after it
    has been locked down, (using the IIS lockdown tool) that it seems to
    stop working. I just have to figure out what permissions to turn on so
    it works again without comprimising the web server. I will definitely
    let you know if I figure it out.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Steve Yaworsky, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Steve Y.

    Eric Guest

    I hope someone gives some insight into this problem because I've tried for
    the past month to resolve it. I even have multiple machines to try it on.
    Only one machine works... The one without IIS lockdown ran on it. I've
    changed all kinds of permissions throught the machine and still don't have
    it. I will not make ASPNET an administrator. I will leave it broke forever
    first.

    Eric, Sep 9, 2003
  7. Steve Y.

    Steve Y. Guest

    Just for test purposes did you try making the ASPNET user
    an administrator to see if it works or change the
    machine.config to user the "System" account over
    the "machine" account to see if it works which would
    isolate the issue? Let me know.

    Steve

    Steve Y., Sep 12, 2003
  8. Steve Y.

    Eric Guest

    Well first let me retract some of my last letter. All other test machines
    work, even those that have IIS lockdown run on them. Every machine works
    except my production server - the page (at the moment) can't be reached
    unless you type in the URL directly - so nobody gets upset at the page. I
    can't change the machine.config file on the production server like that.
    The other test web servers are using "machine" as opposed to "system". I'm
    sure it would work if I changed it on the production machine. I wish
    someone from microsoft would comment on this. I'm sure it could be fixed
    fairly easy with some permission change somewhere! I just can't find where!
    I have been looking through newgroups and searching the internet, but still
    no damn answers.

    Eric, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Steve Y.

    Eric Guest

    Let elaborate even a little more since this is the only newsgroup to have
    ANY replies at all. My code is also using a remote SMTP server to send the
    mail through (which I did specify in code). All test machines work (5).
    I'm not using the local machines smtp service for this. Well whatever, I
    hope someone who knows will post something here.

    Eric, Sep 16, 2003