Cell background image does not display on some pages

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Nick Iredale, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Nick Iredale

    Nick Iredale Guest

    For some reason I can't work out, the background image at the head of
    some pages at http://www.fuorimano.net does not show when viewed using
    IE (I haven't been informed which version) on a Mac.

    The pages with the problem are
    http://www.fuorimano.net/stanze.htm
    http://www.fuorimano.net/attiviti.htm
    http://www.fuorimano.net/rooms.htm and
    http://www.fuorimano.net/activities.htm

    AFAIK the rest of the pages display as intended.

    The background to the cell is set in the main css file:

    td.head {
    padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
    width: 700px;
    background: #336633 url(../images/head.jpg) no-repeat top;
    height: 45px;
    vertical-align: top;
    }

    The pages with the problem have a link to an external JavaScript, but I
    don't see why this should affect it. Is it a bug in IE for Mac? Any
    one any ideas how to work round it?

    --
    Nick
    Chainsaw sculpture - Wooden books - Pictures

    Nick Iredale, Feb 29, 2004

  2. Nick Iredale

    Richard Guest

    Nick Iredale wrote:

    > For some reason I can't work out, the background image at the head of
    > some pages at http://www.fuorimano.net does not show when viewed using
    > IE (I haven't been informed which version) on a Mac.

    > The pages with the problem are
    > http://www.fuorimano.net/stanze.htm
    > http://www.fuorimano.net/attiviti.htm
    > http://www.fuorimano.net/rooms.htm and
    > http://www.fuorimano.net/activities.htm

    > AFAIK the rest of the pages display as intended.

    > The background to the cell is set in the main css file:

    > td.head {
    > padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
    > width: 700px;
    > background: #336633 url(../images/head.jpg) no-repeat top;
    > height: 45px;
    > vertical-align: top;
    > }

    > The pages with the problem have a link to an external JavaScript, but I
    > don't see why this should affect it. Is it a bug in IE for Mac? Any
    > one any ideas how to work round it?

    > --
    > Nick
    > Chainsaw sculpture - Wooden books - Pictures
    > http://www.square-sun.co.uk

    Should be:

    background: #336633 url("/images/head.jpg") no-repeat top;

    The two dots are not required but the quotes are.

    Richard, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Nick Iredale

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > Nick Iredale wrote:
    >
    > > For some reason I can't work out, the background image at the head of
    > > some pages at http://www.fuorimano.net does not show when viewed using
    > > IE (I haven't been informed which version) on a Mac.

    > Should be:
    >
    > background: #336633 url("/images/head.jpg") no-repeat top;
    >
    > The two dots are not required but the quotes are.

    Wrong, in this case dreadfully.

    .../ points to the current directory.
    / points to the root directory for the site.

    These two are not necessarily the same.

    If the "two dots" are omitted then so must the / be, otherwise the image may
    not be found.

    I don't know about MAC IE but Windows IE does not care if the quotes are
    there or not. It's error correction puts them in if they are missing.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 29, 2004
  4. rf <> wrote in:

    > I don't know about MAC IE but Windows IE does not care if the
    > quotes are there or not. It's error correction puts them in if
    > they are missing.

    The quotes aren't requried by the specification.

    --
    David Håsäther

    David Håsäther, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Nick Iredale

    Els Guest

    rf wrote:

    > ../ points to the current directory.

    Sure it's not the parent directory?
    I use it when I need to point to some file in the directory
    above the one the current file is in.

    --
    Els

    - Renato Russo -

    Els, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Nick Iredale

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > > Nick Iredale wrote:
    > >

    > ../ points to the current directory.

    .../ points to the parent directory, of course.

    Cheers
    Richrd.

    rf, Feb 29, 2004
  7. Nick Iredale

    Richard Guest

    rf wrote:

    > "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    >> Nick Iredale wrote:
    >>
    > >> For some reason I can't work out, the background image at the head of
    > >> some pages at http://www.fuorimano.net does not show when viewed
    > >> using IE (I haven't been informed which version) on a Mac.

    >> Should be:
    >>
    >> background: #336633 url("/images/head.jpg") no-repeat top;
    >>
    >> The two dots are not required but the quotes are.

    > Wrong, in this case dreadfully.

    > ../ points to the current directory.
    > / points to the root directory for the site.

    > These two are not necessarily the same.

    > If the "two dots" are omitted then so must the / be, otherwise the image
    > may not be found.

    > I don't know about MAC IE but Windows IE does not care if the quotes are
    > there or not. It's error correction puts them in if they are missing.

    > Cheers
    > Richard.

    The two dots means to move back up one directory.
    Without the dots it means to take the information from this directory.

    Try it yourself in DOS.

    Richard, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Richard wrote:

    > The two dots means to move back up one directory.

    Correct[1].

    > Without the dots it means to take the information from this directory.

    Wrong! Without the dots it means to take the information from the root
    directory.

    /images/head.jpg

    With a single dot it means relative to the current directory:

    ./images/head.jpg

    Or leave out the dots and slash altogether for the relative to the current
    directory also:

    images/head.jpg

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Nick Iredale

    > rf wrote:

    > > ../ points to the current directory.

    As you and all others can see I corrected this mistake of mine in a post
    within this thread exactly one hour after I posted the incorrect
    information. I can never remember how many damn dots to type in and usually
    have to open a dos box to check, which I did, after thinking about what I
    posted.

    > The two dots means to move back up one directory.

    Correct. We can all agree on this.

    > Without the dots it means to take the information from this directory.

    It is absolutely bloody amazing that even when you detect an error in one of
    my posts you provide a "correction" which is itself totally wrong. Why dont
    *you* open a dos box and check that the drivel you post is correct.

    I leave the real meaning of removing just those two dots (and leaving in the
    /)as an exercise for the student. Don't you bother with this exercise
    Richard, you will get it wrong.

    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Nick Iredale

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:37:53 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Correct[1].

    I'm still waiting for this footnote... ;-)

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:37:53 +0000, Toby A Inkster
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> Correct[1].

    > I'm still waiting for this footnote... ;-)

    Oh yes. Forgot. It was going to be a note to say that '/' delimiters in
    URLs don't necessarily correspond to any real directory structure on the
    server.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Mar 1, 2004