Cell Backgrounds

IWP506

I'd like to have a table with different backgrounds in different cells
(but within the same table). <td background="back.gif"> seems to work,
but its not valid html transitional.

Is this tag deprecated and is there a newer one I should be using, or
should I be using CSS for this? If CSS is the answer, what's the code?

Thanks
(e-mail address removed)

Edwin van der Vaart

I'd like to have a table with different backgrounds in different cells
(but within the same table). <td background="back.gif"> seems to work,
but its not valid html transitional.

Is this tag deprecated and is there a newer one I should be using, or
should I be using CSS for this? If CSS is the answer, what's the code?
use in css td.1 {background: url(back.gif) #some_colour;}